Can I change my ductwork?

Old 02-18-05, 11:24 AM
Jaysinet
Visiting Guest
Question Can I change my ductwork?

I have a house built in 1935 that is 1400 sq ft. with a finished dormer and basement. The previous owners finished the basement but the suspended ceiling is only 6'4". The actual joists above it are 8 ft tall. My problem is the main trunk from the furnace is absolutely HUGE and runs perpendicular to the joists. It is the reason the suspended ceiling is so low. I would guess it is about 24X24 inches big, give or take a few. This just seems like major overkill for this house. The furnace is a 1960's model Sunbeam and is in the very near future plans to be replaced. Can I reduce this main duct or change it to a better shape or size duct? I would like to get the ceiling up to at least 7 ft. if possible. Please help....Thanks.

Old 02-18-05, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Yes you can. But have to know a lot more on the home what kind are what is the furnace. how many btu?????
1400 sq ft home just to kick it around tops 3 ton AC 100K btu furnace would have a duct to start with of say 8"X24" and a return somthing like it of 8"X24". this would work for 1200 CFM. I have just put this down to give you some idea of what you can get I get 3 bids to just put new duct work and have it all set up for heat down and up for a new furnace next year. This whole duct job is not a good DIY job.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: