No Cold-Air Return and WAY Too Dry! Central Heat..Help!

Old 02-21-05, 07:47 PM
jeremynj
Visiting Guest
Unhappy No Cold-Air Return and WAY Too Dry! Central Heat..Help!

I recently purchased my first home. The house has a furnace that provides central heat. When we closed we were shown that there was no cold-air return on the furnace, however the owner assured us that there never was a problem. I have two small children who have bedrooms on the second floor of this small cape. The rooms get very warm (which is controllable for the most part). My major concern however, is that the air is unbelievably dry. My kids have been sick many times this winter already, and so have I. I am looking for a cost-effective solution or maybe just some advice on my options. I looked at some whole-house humidifiers, but most of them have a requirement of a return cold-air duct. Can any of you offer some advice or suggestions?

Jeremy

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-05, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No Return on this system??? Where is the air being pulled from? Where is the furnace in the basement?

Old 02-21-05, 11:58 PM
tinker toys
Visiting Guest
Obviously you meant there is no return duct work in your home.
Answer to your question is for a fast way to get moisture in the air to replace what the hot air system takes out is a portable room humidifier. They sell them in most stores like target K-mart etc.. They have refillable bottles that you fill and a humidistat on them with a variable setting. You buy them to match the room size. A lot of people with breathing problems use them to sleep better.
Best and cost-efficient way to do is have a humidifier installed in your heating system. you don't need a Cadillac type with motors and all unless you want the humidistat and easy use. Down fall is more to maintain in the heating system for water overflow and damage to metal from to much moister from malfunctioning unit.

Old 02-22-05, 06:41 AM
jeremynj
Visiting Guest
Hmm

There is no return in the system. I know I could use room-type humidifiers, however with small children, I am wary with water and electricity in their respective rooms. Im looking for a solution that would humidify the house without the need for small units in every room.
The air is being pulled from the furnace in the basement.

Jeremy

Old 02-22-05, 07:49 AM
The air is being pulled from the furnace in the basement
Where in the basement is this? I hope this is in a very wide open basement with a wide open stairways. If this in a small unitly room, You better have a sealed system!

Did it pass inspection?

Reason I asked, if this in a small room, this will make the room go into a negative pressure, and you will be drawing CO from your furnace and water heater. CO is something you DO NOT want in your home.

Do you have central air?

Old 02-22-05, 11:18 AM
Wink

I would RUN now and get a Carbon Monoxide Alarm for sure in this home. Where is the air filter on this furnace.

When we closed we were shown that there was no cold-air return on the furnace, however the owner assured us that there never was a problem.
What does code call for and say here? Id call them and find out for sure.

ED

Old 02-22-05, 08:17 PM
longo
Visiting Guest
there is a return some where. it may be in the floor joists below the furnace. code calls for the return grille (where the air is sucked into the duct) to be 10 feet from gas apliances (ingluding a gas furnace). if its not, it coulb be very dangerous. is the furnace on a sheet metal box? is there a grille on the box? if you feel uncomfortable, get a pro. service contracts from an hvac company are usualy cheaper than a service call.