High Velocity Forced Air System?

Old 02-22-05, 05:31 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
High Velocity Forced Air System?

I am considering a high velocity forced air heating and cooling system in my new home. If this type of system is inherently noisy (loud air flow), I will no longer entertain this system. Part of my interest is to reduce the dust within my home by running the system fan constantly with large, specialized, filters at the return point. If the high velocity forced air system will operate quietly, what other advantages, or disadvantages, should I consider?

Thanks in advance
pizzazz

Old 02-22-05, 06:42 AM
Not many of them are around here.. I only been around a couple, and they do run quiet..

I am sure others on this form will be able to answer it.

Old 02-22-05, 10:32 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I wont even try and count all the units that have come out with the high pressure fan set up and small duct that we have taken out. With cold air venturi like coleman then the eyeball nozzle forget who had that. That where in homes and we had to put a good furnace and AC in to replace them .I can recall most of the big furnace companys all have tried this at one time or the other. You dont see any of them trying to sell something like it now. They learned the hard way dont do it it dont work. Just get a good 5 " pleated filter in this new set up and you will be happy

ED

Old 02-22-05, 06:35 PM
longo
Visiting Guest
there is no garante it wont make the same amount of noise. all the ones ive put in have made more noise. see if it isnt posible to visit a home with one of these systems, and hear for your self. these systems costs a lot of money and your the one who is going to live with it not the estomator. you should be comfortable with it. isnt that the whole point of heating and a/c? in my experince, people put these systems in their homes to avoid bulk heads in their ceilngs and large registers. i usualy have put these systems in older homes in which the homeowner wishes to keep the house looking true to its time period(i.e. victorian). they work well and its nice not to have to drywall around duct. if you already have a convential duct system in your home you can order duct with sound deadening insulation on the inside of the duct to help reduce sound. installing canvas conectors (a 6 or 9 inch long peice of air tight canvas duct) on the return and suply cant hurt to reduce vibration. make sure the ducts are the proper size as well. if you decide on the high velosity system, make sure your filtration system is compatable with it. be sure to call the manufacturer. they know best.

Old 02-22-05, 07:03 PM
longo
Visiting Guest
sorry. i just re read your post and hadnt relized it was a new home. get a normal duct system and get the insulation on the inside of the duct( 1/2" sound lined). if the cost is too much, just line two or three peices closest to the air handled or furnace. duct manufactures will usualy charge twice as much for this. youll want both suply and return done. i usualy line the entire return and the first parts of the suply. if its going in an attic sound line everything with 1" linner and wrap it with duct inslation. then also upgrade to a verable speed fan motor in your air handler or furnace . they are sweet. the fan will come up to full speed slowly as opposed to right away. you wont notice the noise as much. plus they increase the efficency of your heat pump or a/c which means lower electric bills for you. they also remove more humidity during the summer. if your getting a gas fired furnace, get a two stage gas valve. guarnteed gas savings.

Old 02-22-05, 07:32 PM
P
Thanks!

Wow! I am impressed with the terrific information. I feel I have hit a real bonanza of useful information! It seems the best way to go is with standard duct work with interior insulation - avoiding the high velocity ducts.

THANKS!
pizzazz

Old 02-23-05, 07:46 AM
N
The only way to be dustless is to be ductless.

Old 02-23-05, 08:12 AM
Wink

If you are going the cost for insulated duct . Have it made out of insulated ductboard . I know like said we do a lot where we line the metal duct glue it and pin the insulation in but it does come lose in time.Also you dont need the canvas conectors then.

ED

Old 02-23-05, 12:25 PM
P
Comments.......

Ed Imeduc: Thanks! I will plan on using the ductboard type of insutation when I build my new home.

notsohandy: Do you know something I don't? Won't a forced air system provide filtration - removing dust that gets into the house? If there is a better way, please let me know.

Thanks everyone!
pizzazz

Old 02-23-05, 12:33 PM
Wink

Won't a forced air system provide filtration - removing dust that gets into the house? If there is a better way,
Dont go with a EAC filter kind . look at the AIR bear or others that have a 5 " pleated filter set up in them. its teh best way for a clean home.

ED

Old 02-23-05, 12:53 PM
longo
Visiting Guest
ductboard should be illegal. it will fall apart before you know it. dont get this junk.

Old 02-23-05, 01:04 PM
Wink

Just what do you base that on. We have use it for over 25 years now and have had no trouble from it.

ED

Old 02-25-05, 10:23 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ductless split heat pumps

All houses have dust but what I think notsohandy was trying to say on which type of system is the more prone to encourage airborne health ailments. Here in the Northeast most doctor offices are going to ductless split systems for that reason. Even with "Air Scrubbers" these doctor offices used to use, it's not as good as the ductless systems. In fact this is what you will find in laboratories that require climate control temperature when dealing with highly contageous bacteria. These air handlers are very easy to clean and disinfect.

An example of this type of system is www.mrslim.com

Old 02-27-05, 09:36 AM
P
What is a ductless split system?

What is a ductless split system?

Thanks
pizzazz

Old 02-27-05, 09:46 AM
Wink

A small part or the fan and coil hang on the wall inside and the rest of the AC sets outside on the ground.

Check out Samsung ductless split

and Comfort-Aire ductless split

there are others also.

ED

Old 02-27-05, 10:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Somehow I missed this thread in it's earlier stages but since I've now found it I'll put in my two cents worth.
Ductless : The reason they are used in medical facilities is twofold: (1) It is an easy way to provide different temperatures in various rooms. (2) They minimize the possibility of contamination from one area to another simply because there is no air shared between areas. Ductless systems do very little to actually clean the air in a room or house because of the lack of filtration in them.
Duct Material : I use & reccommend metal, externally insulated with ductboard (if the customer is willing to pay the price [otherwise I wrap the duct]). I will not use ductboard exposed to the airstream (either for the duct itself or internal insulation). In time, all duct systems get dirty regardless of how well they are sealed & ductboard can't be cleaned. Since the surface of ductboard is not as smooth as metal, it tends to collect dust faster. The last I heard, ductboard was outlawed in six states.
Maybe this is more than two cents worth, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: