heat ducts in basement

Old 02-27-05, 12:30 PM
kevinpeterson
Visiting Guest
heat ducts in basement

Hello i was wondering. i see that most of your replys for heat ducts in basements state to put them on ceiling 12" away from outside wall and blowing down. Would it be feasible to just run duct from trunk, accross ceiling and down through wall and have register mounted about 6" off of floor. Similiar to an upsatirs configuration.

Old 02-27-05, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

It would be like another 90o turn in the pipe. you dont want to run the pipe down in an outside wall no insulation youo dont want to cut an outside plate. Why all the extra
work. They also about cover the whole outside wall with heat.

ED

Old 02-27-05, 06:08 PM
kevinpeterson
Visiting Guest
heat ducts in basement

Hello Ed, thanks for your quick reply and all you do for everyone, true gentlemen. I understand it is more work. But wouldn't it be more efficient. I planned on installing it on an inside wall, about a foot away from outside wall, blowing across below window towards other side of room. The return would be on opposite side of room as it should be. I guess i am trying to avoid having a vent on the ceiling. Have you ever done it this way.

Old 02-28-05, 10:14 AM
Wink

No, like I said we like to blow it down and get pulled across the room so it gets all the room best it can.
Now for what you want . First you will have to cut the plate in the wall to go down with the stack. so you have more drag with the wall stack and a 90o at the bottom. Now blowing out that way and right across to a cold air return. It wont mix the air in the room the cold air should be on a back inside wall like. That 2 1/4 X 12 in the ceiling will give you a fan like blow down over that outside wall.

ED

Old 03-05-05, 08:16 AM
harrydhaines
Visiting Guest
Wink heatin basement

hey kevin,

ed is right,blow the air down. plus it can be major work going
through that plate.i suggest putting a high and low return on the
other side of the room.put a high grille and a low register.leave register
half open in the winter to pull the cool air off the floor.close reg.in the
summer forcing the high return to pull more hot air in the heat of the
summer.

harry

Old 03-05-05, 10:27 AM
kevinpeterson
Visiting Guest
ducts in basement

Thank you very much, that makes a lot of sense. I will do that, again thank you very much.

Old 03-16-05, 11:10 AM
W
We are finishing our basement and just had a HVAC pro over to our house yesterday. He suggested running a duct off of the main trunk supply line to an outside wall and then down the wall to a register near the floor. Thank you for the advice. I will ask him about these issues!

Old 03-16-05, 01:30 PM
Wink

supply line to an outside wall and then down the wall to a register near the floor.
No, no , Why? cut the wall plate and all. Run the pipe off the trunk line to about 12" off out side wall have the register blow down use a 2 1/4"X12"register and you have a nice fan pattern of air blowing down over that cold wall. Then the air has to go back across the room to a cold air return.

ED

Old 03-16-05, 02:56 PM
W
I thought the same thing when they said that. They also want us to frame the outside walls first, have them do the HVAC and ducts, and then have us finish up the registers in the wall. What a hassle! I definitely will insist that all registers be in the ceiling. If they were near the floor they would be blocked all the time with toys and boxes and such anyway.

Also he said we only need one grill for combustion air to the furnace room. I thought that code said you need two: one within 10 inches of the ceiling and one within 10 inches of the floor, or you can use a louvered door. This contractor said that one grill was fine. How can that be?

I think these issues are good "secret test questions" for the contractors. We are getting another estimate from a different HVAC pro later this week. We will pick the one that gives the right answers!

Thanks for your advice Ed!

Old 03-16-05, 03:37 PM
Wink

You might want to check code there for what they want for make up air for the furnace room. In general you need 1sq" per 1000btu so 100,000btu furnace should need 100sq " of vent to the room, but as I say check code where you are

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: