Question re. filter on Trane Gas Furnace

Old 03-11-05, 10:37 PM
laurie3333
Visiting Guest
Question Question re. filter on Trane Gas Furnace

[COLOR=Blue][FONT=Arial]Please don't laugh at this question but I'm really in need of answers. I'm a new homeowner (condo) and trying to learn as I go.

I have a Trane XR80 gas furnace in my attic. The manual says to clean the filter monthly, etc. However, for the life of me I cannot find the filter! The manual has a photo of where to look and what the filter looks like, but it's not in my furnace. The manual, needless to say, is very technical but it mentioned something about an intake vent and I have to assume that's what I have on the main floor of my condo. That "intake" vent has a filter that I replace about every 30 days or so (depending on brand of filter, etc.)

Can I assume that because there is a filter at the "intake" vent on the main floor that there isn't or shouldn't be a filter in the furnace unit itself?

The furnace was installed least March, before I bought condo. So I wasn't on site when the installation was done. It wasn't until someone recently asked me if I remember to change my furnace filters that I re-read the manual.

Also, the manual has a list of "warning" light messages and one refers to "replace IFC". Does anyone know what IFC refers to? Is that the filter?

Furnace is running fine but if there is a filter to change, I need to find it

Thanks for any help!

Laurie

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-05, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
SOunds like you have a single return grill in the wall that has a filter in it.. Then, there is no need to worry about the air filter in the furnace itself since you already got it on the return grill.

Only time there will be a filter are in system that has returns in each room in the house.

The code is a fault code if there's problem with the furnace itself.. It's not the air filter.