master bedroom has no return but lots of dust

Old 04-16-05, 05:49 AM
levelution
Visiting Guest
master bedroom has no return but lots of dust

We have a 3br 1400 sf. ranch style house. The two smaller bedrooms have return vents in them, but the master does not. When the air or heat is on and the door to the master bedroom is closed you can feel air rushing out under the door because it doesn't have a return vent to go to in the room. We have lived in the house for 12 years and the Master bedroom is the dustiest in the house and I am thinking it's because there is no return vent.

Should I add a return vent in the room and tie it in to the return ductwork? Alternaltely, the hallway has a large return and the adjacent den has a small return on the other side of the wall from the master bedrrom. Could I close off the 'extra' small return in the den and turn it around so that it vents the master bedroom instead?

Old 04-16-05, 08:53 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

the adjacent den has a small return on the other side of the wall from the master bedrrom. Could I close off the 'extra' small return in the den and turn it around so that it vents the master bedroom instead?
Id sure give that a try. before I cut 2" off the bottom of that bed room door. Do you use a good pleated air filter in the furnace. Put a new one in every 30 to 90 days. Might also look into a filter spray that you can put on the intake side of the new filter when you put them in .
Http://www.puracleanspray.com

ED

Old 04-16-05, 10:18 AM
levelution
Visiting Guest
Thanks Ed for the quick reply! I will give it a try. I have been mulling it over for years, but now the dust has just driven me over the edge. Maybe the builder or HVAC guy who originally put the system in meant to put it in the bedroom, but goofed and didn't want to redo the drywall.

Yes, I have been replacing the stock rinsable filter that came with the unit with a good pleated (well 'wavy' anyway) filter and I know it is helping in the other rooms, but the master bedroom stays pressurized and dust doesn't get filtered out.

We are also planning on removing the last of the carpet and replacing with laminate wood floor, so that may help with the overall dust problem too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: