Vent directly in main duct?

Old 05-05-05, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vent directly in main duct?

I'm finishing a room in the basement. The main furnace duct goes thru this room and I'll be sheetrocking around it. Would it be ok to put the vent directly in that big duct for the room?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-05, 08:55 AM
Yes, you can tap into the main trunk. How big is the room? if it's large, I would tap a 6" pipe and run it to the wall/window area. if it's a small room where you just need heat, then cut into it w/ a 12 by 6 grill.

Old 05-06-05, 11:34 AM
Thanks Jay!

The room is about 9' by 20' including the closet. The cielings are rather low, which reduced the cubic feet. I'm hoping to cut directly into the main trunk and attach a 12" x 4" grill directly to the trunk. Is that acceptable?

Old 05-06-05, 03:32 PM
Wink

Use a full 10X6 register. A cheap one that has a full like damoer on the back of it . Cut this in the bottom of that duct then. Put it in so the damper will go up and scoop some air down and out of it .
Id still run it to off the outside wall. and get some kind of return out of the room.

ED

Old 05-06-05, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
greg,

When I read your question it appears as if you are asking if it is acceptable to just cut the main and install the grill directly in the main.

You might find that if this room doesn't need a lot of heat that a grill with some leakage might overheat the room because of the high pressure in the main.
I would suggest you install a 5 or 6 inch branch, depending how big the room is and extending it to the outside wall as was suggested