Furnace Filters

Old 06-04-05, 04:43 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace Filters

I have been researching filters and I guess short of a hepa filter that isn't recommended for residential use because it restricts too much air the next best is the thick pleated Allegy filter. Home Depot has an Electrostatic that doesn't fit with my research, that is, they make claims that seem un realistic, but would be nice if they were true.

Ad reads,

$15.97
Filtrete(TM) Filter Ultra Allegen.]
Electrostaic, MERV 12.
Captures microscopic allegens(dust, smoke, mold, pst dander and bacteria).

Ad on the back page of the latest HD newspaper stuffer, a 48 page booklet.

Thanks
Barry

Old 06-04-05, 06:11 AM
I know what filter you are talking about.. They are Ok, but do cut down on the air flow..

I would suggest the cheaper 3-pack pleted filterr for about $8 at HD. Even tho the package says "last up to 90 days" dont' mean igore it for 90 days.. You may have to change it every month..

If you are really conern about air, and you need it look into buying a media air filter system.. They are about 4 to 5" thick, and only needs to be changed out once or twice a year. Honeywell, AirBear, or April Air has them..

Old 06-04-05, 06:29 AM
O
Thanks for your reply, Jay.

Forced hot air wouldn't be my choice for heat but it is what is there in an otherwise pretty perfect house for us. Although the advantage of being able to hook a whole house AC unit is a positive thing.

Ok, I guess I am getting it. While we are cleaning and basically just have the blower on to clean air and not pumping any heat or cool, the better but more restrictive filter would be good and then back off to one with better air flow once we start actually using the system.

Thanks
Barry

Old 06-04-05, 06:56 AM
Wink

We try to tell people to just us a MERV 5 filter and not over. Be sure and change it out ever 30 to 60 days as need be. Also go look at http://www.puracleanspray.com Put a light coat of this on the filter helps a lot.
You dont say what you have there and how old. You could check out the cup blades of the blower wheel also and see that they are clean.

"Forced hot air wouldn't be my choice for heat "
But just think all that dirt on the air filter is from the home.So where is it in a home with hot water heat? On the walls and in the baseboard fins.

ED

Old 06-04-05, 07:19 AM
O
Thanks for your reply Ed.

The house is only 2 years old but it has been smoked in and not cleaned very often. Where we have plenty of time to clean, paint and whatever, I thought it would be a good time to get everything right before we actually move.

Our first house had forced hot air and it was ok when the heat was on, but a minute after it went off the house was already cold. I have read that you are better off leaving the blower on all the time not just when the heat is on, this way the heat get recirculated from above, not sure how much validity that philosphy has.

My first priority is to get the house clean and smelling good, which it doesn't at the moment.

Thanks
Barry

Old 06-04-05, 10:16 AM
O
Ed is there a way to order puraclean on line, there are no dealers in Maine. I tried to send an email to them and it rejected my email, said it was unsolicited email, that is kind of an odd way to run a business. In any event, if you can supply any information on how to get some, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Barry

Old 06-04-05, 11:46 AM
We have the spray at our store, but may not be in all of them thou.. If no luck on the spray, just make sure you change out the filter I've mention about.. That what I've used till I upgraded to my meida filter.

Old 06-07-05, 03:37 AM
O
Opps sorry Jay, somehow missed your post, thanks for the replay. I found a website that had a price list on the puraclean but no way to order, boy these people need someone to give them an on line presence. I finally found an email address that didn't get kicked back, so maybe I will hear something from the company. It sounds like a very good product. I hope to know more this week, as soon as the people move out we will get real serious about cleaning everything including the air.

Thanks
Barry

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: