I can hear (but feel no) air in vent

Old 06-11-05, 08:01 PM
yks
Visiting Guest
I can hear (but feel no) air in vent

I'm new at this, so sorry if I'm not using the correct terminology.

All vents in the house have air coming out of them except three. The only one that I care about is the one in the 2nd floor bathroom attached to a bedroom that only has one working air vent. However, air coming out of that bedroom vent is so little that it doesn't cool the room (it's 10 degrees warmer in that room than the rest of the house). I hear air blowing in the bathroom vent, but there is NO air coming out of it. To help cool the bedroom, I need that air. Help!

Old 06-12-05, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not seeing your home, hard to say.. I'd look for the folliwing things.

is the bathroom vent sharing another vent??

Where are the duct in teh attic or between the upper and main floor?

Is there a main trunk from the basement feeding up stairs or have a main trunk in the attic?

We need more info.

Old 06-12-05, 01:49 PM
yks
Visiting Guest
is the bathroom vent sharing another vent??
Actually, there is a ceiling vent. In my original email when I said 'vent', I actually meant a register (is that the correct term?). It's the air register that heat and air conditioning should be coming out of. So, no, it is not shared.

Where are the duct in teh attic or between the upper and main floor?
How would I be able to determine where all the ducts are? I pulled the register cover off and all I can tell is that there is an elbow, so it seems that the ductwork may be going under the floor (so the floor of the 2nd floor or ceiling of the main floor).

Is there a main trunk from the basement feeding up stairs or have a main trunk in the attic?
The main truck is feeding from the basement.

I think the previous owner wanted to shut off any air conditioning or heating going into that room, but how would they do so? They didn't just close the register cover, but actually shut off air flow completely. There's nothing by the main trunk as far as a shutoff valve and all the ducts coming out of the main trunk are very cold to touch.

Thanks!!!!

Old 06-12-05, 09:28 PM
What I gather is that you have a single trunk that comes up from the basement, and then each room is branched off from that trunk.

if the ceiling is finshed, be hard to do anything.. Only thing i'd try to do is remove the register cover, and take a small flash light and a mirror and look down the pipe to see if you can see anything may be in the way or damper closed.

I would just close off all of the other register in other rooms and see if you get air flow.

Old 06-13-05, 06:12 PM
yks
Visiting Guest
i actually took an underwater fishing camera and put it down the duct. i could see that the ductwork was open and went all the way across and below the floor. however, it bends when it hits the wall and unfortunately i can't what's going on after the bend. is it possible that the previous owner somehow blocked the ductwork so that no air goes to that room?

yes, even with all vents closed, there is absolutely no air coming in.

maybe at this point, i would just need a professional to come in to figure out what's happening.

thanks so much!

Old 06-13-05, 08:39 PM
That's cool that you had that camera! Wish I had something like that.. hehe

Anyway, If you are good w/ repair of sheet rock, make a small hole in the area where the duct is, and cont. on with the camera.

Old 06-14-05, 08:34 PM
gpadilla
Visiting Guest
Smile Where can I find out

how to install the tubing in the attic? This handyman took pieces of tubing off and if I turn heat or cooler on it goes directly into the attic. The heat or cool air does not go through the vents.

Old 06-14-05, 09:46 PM
??huh?

Are you saying that the handyman removed the flex from the main pipe?

If it's flex taken off of the metal pipe, slide the plasic over it, zip tie it down, screw it and tape.. then pull the insulation over it.

if you are not using it again, get a cap that size to slip over the metal pipe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: