unknown ductwork in the attic

Old 06-23-05, 04:43 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question unknown ductwork in the attic

Good morning,
Recently I was up in my attic and noticed something that looked kind of strange. Right next to my return air duct, I noticed a smaller piece of ductwork, about 6 inches in diameter and maybe two feet long. It is venting into the attic. Luckily, the AC came on while I was up there. Air did start flowing out of the ductwork, but it was not cool at all. It was almost a little warm. I have a forced air unit. Could this be some sort of exhaust piece for it? It didn't make any sense to me. Any ideas would be appreciated, at least I can learn what the purpose is behind this!!! Thanks.

Old 06-23-05, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
rydoggvt,

It would be helpfull to know roughly where you live and have a better description of your heating/cooling system.

There should not be any connection of your ductwork to your attic.
It's possibly someone's misguided attempt to solve a problem.
If it is indeed connected to the ductwork you would do well to properly cap it off.

Old 06-24-05, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydoggvt
Good morning,
Recently I was up in my attic and noticed something that looked kind of strange. Right next to my return air duct, I noticed a smaller piece of ductwork, about 6 inches in diameter and maybe two feet long. It is venting into the attic. Luckily, the AC came on while I was up there. Air did start flowing out of the ductwork, but it was not cool at all. It was almost a little warm. I have a forced air unit. Could this be some sort of exhaust piece for it? It didn't make any sense to me. Any ideas would be appreciated, at least I can learn what the purpose is behind this!!! Thanks.
combustion air.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: