New room, new register

Old 06-27-05, 10:06 PM
kevinjmarshall
Visiting Guest
New room, new register

I've installed a duct and register in a garage/shop, making it as airtight as possible; the shop however, does not seem to be staying cool. I've insulated all walls, ceiling and roof.
Suggestions for success?
Thanks!

Old 06-27-05, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First of all, did you check code on this????

I know here it not allowed to do such thing for a garage.

Old 06-28-05, 07:39 AM
kevinjmarshall
Visiting Guest
Code

I did check code for all electrical and am virtually certain those are the only code requirements. I'll double check for the duct. As far as I know I could A/C the backyard if I wanted to.

Old 06-28-05, 08:13 AM
The reason for this code is that you can bring in CO2 into the house if the car was left running in the garage.. other fumes like gas, strong order, dust., and also fire block.

Old 06-28-05, 09:44 AM
kevinjmarshall
Visiting Guest
still looking

I do know the only reason it's still looked at as a garage at this point is because of the slab, i.e., it is NOT on the "house" portion of the slab. So, my outlets had to be garage code, each first one a GFCI. Other than that it is a third car area that is totally sealed off from where the cars are: it's sheetrocked, weatherstripped and insulated. I do know it meets IECC insulation requirments, but haven't yet found anything on a duct/register. Still looking. Thanks.

Old 06-30-05, 07:42 PM
kevinjmarshall
Visiting Guest
Still hot

Any thoughts on how to keep the area cooler. Still no indication of code busting by adding a register to the room. Is there a cfm per square foot equation that I should be following in order to have enough cool going into the room? R-30 is in the roof but it still gets beat with sun most of the day. Any thoughts on best practice for sealing around a garage door?
Thanks.

Old 06-30-05, 08:26 PM
The air that blows into this "room" where it going to or getting out at?

Old 07-01-05, 09:36 AM
kevinjmarshall
Visiting Guest
doors and drawers

There is only one small window, all else is tape and bed or weather stripping.
Two access doors are hollow core and may be conducting too much heat. Other than that there is an insulated garage door that may need additional sealing around the edges. Recommend? Also there are 5 drawers that are built out like a file cabinet and pull out of the walls. It is completely insulated behind the drawer fronts, but not sheetrocked. I know I still need a seal around the drawer fronts. The space is two level with an open stair to the upper portion. Always cooler downstairs even with the garage door.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: