HELP ! Bathroom exhaust fans

Old 06-28-05, 07:13 PM
sstewart
Visiting Guest
HELP ! Bathroom exhaust fans

I have a few questions that I can't seem to get consistant answers.

(1) Is it ok to use a exhaust vent made for the soffit for the termination of an exhaust fan for a bathroom? I have soffet 'intake' vents on my house. I have read some articles that claim the mosit air will re-enter the attic through a nearby soffit 'intake' vent.

(2) If the correct way to install a vent is through the roof, then are there guidlines on where to put the vent on the roof? Should the duct go straight up or away from the fan for a few feet before heading to the roof?

(3) When sizing a bathroom fan, all I see is calculations based on volume of bathroom and exchange air 8 times an hour. What about duct length, duct type, number of elbows, diameter of duct, and termination type; surely this affects the size of the fan too.

(4) Is it better to put the fan directly abouve the shower/tub or just outside the shower/tub?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 06-29-05, 05:13 AM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
1-Should be fine.
2-You can install the vent on the roof, but you don't have to. It doesn't matter if the pipe is straight up, or offset. Just try for the minimum amount of elbows, transitions, etc for best performance.
3-Many fan mfrs have derating info on their websites that help you figure all these issues.
4-You can install a fan over a tub or shower IF it is GFI protected. As far as which location is better, I try to "straddle" between the toilet and the shower, so as to pick up both areas best.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: