AC return from basement??? Can it be done?

Old 06-30-05, 10:08 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC return from basement??? Can it be done?

I just moved into my first home with CAC and was wondering if I could fabricate a return for my 1st floor AC zone in the cooler basement? The temp in my finished basement is in the 60s. It seems like if I had the air being drawn from the cool basement up to the 1st floor I would be able to run just the fan (with out the ac) to cool the house. Does this make sense? Can/Shoud it be done?
All my HVAC equip is located in the basement and my return now is on the 1st floor in the living room. Thanks

Old 06-30-05, 08:22 PM
You have living space in the basement? is it finshed? I would put a return in the family room near the floor..

Are the supply vents open in the basement?

Old 07-01-05, 05:38 AM
S
I do not fully understand the HVAC system in my home yet. I have not had the time to really look at it. I have vents in every room (floor, wall and ceiling). I have not found any returns in any of the rooms. All the vents blow out. I have a 2 x 3.5 foot intake in my famly room on the 1st floor. Could that be my only return??? If it is I am looking to make another 2 x 3.5 foot vent/return in my basment to bring the cold air to my 1st floor.

Thanks for the reply

Old 07-01-05, 07:32 AM
You should have more than one return.. I bet there are more in the bedrooms maybe behind the doors like mine...

If you are able to supply a return in the basement, go for it.. DO NOT put the return in the furnace area itself.. Put it in the living area down there.

Old 07-01-05, 10:46 AM
Wink

You dont say how big the unit is here. For sure you dont want to go and put another return in the basement 2'X3.5'

Also you can turn the fan to on 24/7 but keep the AC on set to what feels good to you. for get trying to pull any COOL air from the basement. High humidity in it. With just one return are all the door bottoms 2" or better off the floor or rugs . i check that out here.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: