cleaning duct work

Old 07-05-05, 09:48 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cleaning duct work

Hello, I'm looking for info on how to clean my ducts. I'm not sure if I really need to it, is it common to clean ducts? We've owned the house for about 8 years now and I'm not sure if the original (& only other) owners smoked. I'm just taken some precautionary measures because my "little guy" who is 4 years old sometimes has coughing fits in the middle of the night even without having a cold. The doctor says its asthma but he never coughs at his grandparents, our camper or at his aunts, where he has been for the last week. I think there may be something in his old shag carpet in his bedroom that is giving him these fits. So today I tore out the carpet and am putting in wood flooring and I'm also in the process of inquiring about where to get ahold of some of that puraclean stuff for the filters. If it was simple to get a pro to clean my ducts I would but we live about 1.5 hours from the nearest city. Now that you know my story is cleaning ducts a job that any individual can take on or is it strictly for the pros.
Thank you for your time.
Bob

Old 07-07-05, 03:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Duct Cleaning

The only duct material which can be effectively cleaned is metal. Anything else has to be replaced.

Old 07-07-05, 07:54 PM
T
my ducts are metal.
Bob

Old 07-08-05, 05:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Duct cleaning

You can clean metal ducts but it does involve a lot of work. It would involve taking at least the ends of the branch ducts off of the trunk & pulling a brush or wad of rags thru the branches & sucking out any loose dust. Cleaning the main trunk(s) without a duct cleaning machine would mean taking at least part of the duct apart. It is no easy task & not a one person job. Not trying to burst your bubble, just prepare you for what's in store if you want to try it.

Old 07-10-05, 09:25 AM
T
Thanks Grady for the heads up. I think I'll leave it as a last resort. By the way I know how to fish!
Thanks once again.
Bob

Old 07-10-05, 06:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Bob

That really is a job best left to professionals. They have equipment where they can cut a hole about 6 inches square & do a good job. Go catch 'em.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: