Adding heat and air to garage? Help...

Old 07-08-05, 10:41 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding heat and air to garage? Help...

Hello, I wondered if this was possible or not. I have a 2 story 4 bedroom house and the garage is the only room not temp controlled. Well the utility closet w/ the heat/air conditioner in it is right against the garage wall. Is there any stipulation at all to cutting a hole in the garage wall for a vent and connecting it to the large square output on the heater/ac just to get a cool breeze into the garage when its hot, and some heat when it is cold?

The only prob I can see is if putting a vent there will destroy the air flow upstairs? Any suggestions, is this even possible to do? I'm willing to close a couple downstairs vents to make up?

Thanks,

Old 07-08-05, 02:24 PM
I would say "No".. But check with your local code.. Here, you can't do it.. May get gas fume or other fumes into the house.

Also a fire in the garage can work into the vent and get else where in the home.

Old 07-08-05, 02:49 PM
D
Well ignoring the code and legalities, is it possible on the machine/mechanical side of things.

Old 07-08-05, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by dsfii
Well ignoring the code and legalities, is it possible on the machine/mechanical side of things.

you've gotta be kidding.

Old 07-08-05, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by tinner73
you've gotta be kidding.

I'd 2nd Tinner..

I still say No.... You don't live in the garage, so there is no need to waste your cooling load into the hot garage.. Most Garage are not insulated..

If you reallly need to cool the garage, get a used window unit and use that..

Like I said before.. if you do put a vent to cool/heat your garage, that air that the furnace puts in there needs to be made up.. so you are going to get the fume/gas/and whatnot into your home.. I am sure you don't want to smell your lawn mower in the middle of the night???

Old 07-09-05, 10:42 AM
D
The world is filled with assuming humans. haha, I can't help but laugh with the comments you all have to throw in when trying to just help a fella out.

How do you know my garage it not insulated, and how'd ya know I have a lawn mower in there. Ahh yes,, they assumed... shame shame.. And I was just complimenting how great this forum was on finding out info, yet we all must endure the badgering and ruthless comments.

Thanks for the educational info I got out of this.. seriously...

Old 07-09-05, 01:22 PM
badgering???

you want advice.

some of us do this for a living.

we give you advice that you apparently (with all YOUR knowledge of MY field) don't like.

there are reasons for this code. YOU obviously know better.

why bother asking?

when you sell do you think the home inspector won't catch this? you will probably end up fixing it anyway.

i have heat in my garage. seperate system.

why do it right when you can just do it.

you are the reason for building inspectors.

Old 07-09-05, 01:24 PM
Ok, let's guess the garage is spotless, you never run your car in there... No lawn mower, or any type of gas powered equipement....

Then you can do it, but you bring your car in that is has temp of 200+ degrees.. You are blowing your cool air in there.. Now you adding more load to your system.. Next you will be complainng why your system is not keeping the house cool...

The biggest reason for code for that is Fire... On homes must have fire rated doors, walls... You have a duct, and you have a fire.. it can work in there..

So, it's not a laughing matter.

Old 07-09-05, 01:50 PM
D
Thank you for getting down to business

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: