finishing basement

Old 07-16-05, 06:54 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
finishing basement

We have a 2 story 1900sqft colonial 34'wide and 28' deep. The left half of the basement will be TVarea/office. The right half will be utility etc. I want to supply and returns to add heating and to reduce/eliminate running a dehumidifier so much in the summer. I watch a hygrometer often so as to use it as little as it really ups our electric bill.

All of the piping off of the supply and return plenums are the same size to the rest of the areas on the 1st and 2nd floors...8"dia I think. Can I just add another supply and return, one to each side of the basement or do I have to worry about negatively affecting the performance of the returns, especially in the 2nd floor in the winter?
Albany NY area...

Old 07-16-05, 09:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Basement

The second floor returns should not be a problem in the winter. The cold air wants to fall anyway. I doubt you would need as much as an 8" for each side of the basement. I would think a 6" would do the trick but if you install 8's with dampers in the duct at the plenum take off, you could damper them down if needed. Do not depend on shutting down registers. Dampers at the plenum work far better.

Old 07-17-05, 07:46 AM
R
1 or 2 supplies/returns

Thanks for the quick reply Grady...I'm loving this site!
So the left half of my basement is 476sqft. Front half of left side will be open office area and back will be couch/chair/tv area. Do you think one supply and return in each section would be best? Assuming supplies should come down outside walls and returns should be toward center of the room in interior walls.

Old 07-17-05, 08:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Supplies & returns

The volume of air needed should be easy with one supply & return in each area. Air distribution is another story entirely. If you could put the supply on one end & the return on the other it would help. Two small supplies/returns are better yet.

Old 07-17-05, 09:11 AM
R
hey that's good idea...thanks very much for the help!

Old 07-17-05, 09:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Richc

You're welcome. When you get the job done, post back & let us know how things work.

Old 07-17-05, 10:33 AM
R
will try to and thanks again
As an alternative I've thought about an outdoor woodstoveto run hotwater to furnace element or baseboard heat in basement. Cost of the woodstove is high. If you know of any kits or instructions on how to build one of the stoves I'd love to know. I have CAD and access to welding equipment.
Thanks again!

Old 07-17-05, 11:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
richc

I would not think of building my own boiler. A boiler is a pressure vessel & should something happen with it not being an approved device, your insurance would not be worth the paper on which it is written.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: