DIY ducts and central A/C

Old 07-18-05, 05:08 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DIY ducts and central A/C

I've been contemplating a DIY install of a central A/C system in my 75 year old house and have come across a few businesses on the web that look like they'll help a novice like myself design and install a system.

You supply them with floor plans, then for a fee these web sites claim they'll do a load calculation, a duct work layout, a materials list, and they'll sell you all the materials for the complete system (surprise, surprise).

Does anyone have any experience with any of the following...

ductworks.net
aircomfortdesign.com
acdirect.com

Dave

Old 07-19-05, 07:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
NJDave

I have no experience with any of these services but duct design is not a simple task. They will need far more than a floor plan. Most companies will not honor warranties for equipment purchased online. Unless you are EPA certified to handle refrigerants, it is unlawful for you to install your own A/C system. Fines for such can run as high as $25K. To me it would not be worth the gamble.

Old 07-20-05, 04:31 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grady,

Each of those sites recommends bringing in a professional to do the final hook-up, charging and even inspection of the system.

They're also looking for more than just a simple floor plan. Joist direction and spacing, ceiling height, window size, orientation of the house, etc are also required (they ask for copies of blueprints if you have them). On the surface they seem pretty comprehensive, but I'm not going to pull the trigger unless I can get some feedback from someone who's used one of these services.

Dave

Old 07-20-05, 07:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Sounds Good

If you do decide to use one of these services please post back & let us know how things went.
The only ones I've heard anything about only wanted a sketch with dimentions, not even windows, doors, etc. "Send us $xx & we will fix you up real good. Have we got a deal for you."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: