Bathroom Vent Inside or Outside of Insulation?

Old 07-27-05, 09:44 PM
PhilUpNorth
Visiting Guest
Question Bathroom Vent Inside or Outside of Insulation?

Hi! I'm in the process of remodelling a bathroom, and am undecided how to pipe the exhaust fan outside. For many reasons, I've got to string the 3" duct from the ceiling fan across to an outside wall, then down through the insulation (the wall cavity is 5" deep), and finally out through the brick. This seems easy, but given that it gets very cold here about half the year and condensation is an issue, the question is whether the duct in the wall should be on the inside or outside side of the vapor barrier, or even whether it should be on the inside or outside of the insulation. Thanks for any advice. Phil.

Old 07-28-05, 07:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
huh?

Why do you want to run the duct to the wall, then down and out?? Or Am I missing something here of why you want to run it over to the wall and down?

Just run it right up to the roof in the attic. Shorter the run, better air flow you will get.

Old 07-28-05, 09:26 AM
PhilUpNorth
Visiting Guest
Why Through The Wall? Well...

Well, its a complicated thing. The bathroom is in a one-floor addition to a house, and it has a flat (built-up) roof on top of it. I could go straight up a couple of feet through a roof vent, but the problem is that this is an area of the roof where significant snow - often well over a foot- builds up in the winter. So because I don't want to have a tall vent sticking out of the roof, I thought I could go sideways to the outside wall instead, which is not too difficult. The problem is that this is a wall at the front of the house, and that is has no eaves, so the vent would be quite visible since it would stick out high up on the wall. This is why I though that I could simply go down along the wall to where the vent could be better hidden. Am I making my life way too complicated here? I think I am...

Old 07-28-05, 01:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ok, I now understand! ;-)

If you can make it work, then go for it.

So, here what you should do.

insidewall/sheetrock..l vapor barrier..l duct...l insulation..l outisidewall/siding.

Old 07-28-05, 08:24 PM
PhilUpNorth
Visiting Guest
No That You Mention It...

Jay11J,

Thanks for the reply and the advice. Now that you've questioned my rationale for going through the wall (it does sound weird), I'll give more thought to the "through the roof" option. Who knows... with a competent roofer for a half-hour job (to make sure that I don't get leaks over time), and a new position for the fan, I'd get a much cleaner setup...

Phil

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: