Sizing Basement Return Air Grille

Old 08-04-05, 12:29 PM
kuhawksr1
Visiting Guest
Sizing Basement Return Air Grille

Greetings ... All the contributors to DoItYourself.com forums have made finishing my basement an enjoyable experience. Appreciate all of the advice and down right specific answers to questions. Here's my question.

What must I take into consideration in order to determine how large of a hole (and subsequent grille) to cut in my drywall for the return air vent in my basement?

I've got two 6" supply ducts (with in-line dampers) feeding registers located in the ceiling about 12" away from the exterior wall. I'm going to use the space between two studs (16" centers) as the return from the basement on the opposite wall. I've covered the back of 'this space' with sheet metal and have a 8" duct coming out of the top of it. That duct connects to an existing return air duct/trunk line going back to the Furnace/AC unit. On the other side of 'this space' I now have drywall. I plan on putting the return air grille down towards the floor. Question is ... how big of a grille do I need (consequently, how big of a hole should I cut in the drywall)? Or does the size of this hole not really matter much considering I've already made the decision to supply the room with two 6" lines and return with one 8" line?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-04-05, 01:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pick up a return grill and then cut the hole to the size of the grill it self.. I thihnk off top of my head it is 6" by 14"?

Old 08-04-05, 02:15 PM
kuhawksr1
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Jay. So I don't really have to concern myself with how many square inches of opening there are or any thing like that?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: