HELP! Duct dripping ruined my living room ceiling!

Old 08-06-05, 07:36 AM
DragonSims
Visiting Guest
HELP! Duct dripping ruined my living room ceiling!

I found your website thru Google, and I must say you all seem to be the most knowledgeable and honest regarding AC issues! Thanks for the input! I have a major problem. I am in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Hot, wet, miserable humidity. Last night I noticed that my ceiling was soaking wet. It has been very hot and thunder storming daily. I went into the attic and there were no roof leaks. I noticed that the AC duct, which is insulated with a foil type insulation about an inch or two thick and the seams are sealed with a black tar-like substance, was soaking wet underneath about 4 feet out to about 10 feet from where the main duct exits from the top portion of the air handler. I went up in the attic today and moved all of the ceiling/attic insulation that was touching the bottom of the duct insulation out of the way thinking that the moisture would be evaporated quicker and not soak the insulation underneath subsequently ruining the ceiling drywall. The attic floor is insulated with 4 inches of "pink" and blown insulation over that of about 3 to 4 inches thick. It has ruined my living room ceiling which is popcorn textured. I have 2 gable fans blowing outward, and a roof vent fan, as a ridge vent is not practical on the existing roof. I set the fan thermostats to go on at abot 95 to 100 degrees when I installed them. I also tend to leave my garage ladder attic access door to the attic open and the two ceiling fans in the garage on to help cool the garage and attic so that the heat is not so bad, which I wonder may be part of the problem...I just had the AC serviced as it was freezing up. The technician said it was low on Freon and charged it. He said the coils were fine, pan drain was not clogged Iand it works good now. What is causing this "attic rain" nightmare and how can I fix it? It has ruined my living room ceiling. Would making the attic "hotter" help since theory says the higher heat may evaporate the condensation faster before it gets to the point where it drips?

Old 08-06-05, 06:29 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
raining in house

well you can do to things wrap it with more insulation so it stopes or you can cut a supply line in the attic to bring temp down so not so hot up there

Originally Posted by DragonSims
I found your website thru Google, and I must say you all seem to be the most knowledgeable and honest regarding AC issues! Thanks for the input! I have a major problem. I am in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Hot, wet, miserable humidity. Last night I noticed that my ceiling was soaking wet. It has been very hot and thunder storming daily. I went into the attic and there were no roof leaks. I noticed that the AC duct, which is insulated with a foil type insulation about an inch or two thick and the seams are sealed with a black tar-like substance, was soaking wet underneath about 4 feet out to about 10 feet from where the main duct exits from the top portion of the air handler. I went up in the attic today and moved all of the ceiling/attic insulation that was touching the bottom of the duct insulation out of the way thinking that the moisture would be evaporated quicker and not soak the insulation underneath subsequently ruining the ceiling drywall. The attic floor is insulated with 4 inches of "pink" and blown insulation over that of about 3 to 4 inches thick. It has ruined my living room ceiling which is popcorn textured. I have 2 gable fans blowing outward, and a roof vent fan, as a ridge vent is not practical on the existing roof. I set the fan thermostats to go on at abot 95 to 100 degrees when I installed them. I also tend to leave my garage ladder attic access door to the attic open and the two ceiling fans in the garage on to help cool the garage and attic so that the heat is not so bad, which I wonder may be part of the problem...I just had the AC serviced as it was freezing up. The technician said it was low on Freon and charged it. He said the coils were fine, pan drain was not clogged Iand it works good now. What is causing this "attic rain" nightmare and how can I fix it? It has ruined my living room ceiling. Would making the attic "hotter" help since theory says the higher heat may evaporate the condensation faster before it gets to the point where it drips?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: