Return Air Question

Old 08-08-05, 04:15 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Return Air Question

I am as most people here because of finishing my basement. That being said here is my situation.

My house has had an addition added to it about 20x20 size and so the heating was put through the block wall under the room and up from below, there are about 4 heat ducts in this room.
There is one return air duct and it happens that they installed a round stle that comes through the wall on the other side of the wall. So in other words most the ceiling would need to be dropped. ( Not what I want).
My question/s is this, since now the basement where the return air passes through is going to be finished and heated via wood stove. Is it ok to just remove the round return and have a vent in the ceiling where the return air can now come from my finished portion of my basement? We do not have central air. Is there any rule that says you have to have return air coming from that addition?
Am I correct that the return is just a means of reheating already heated air and so could come from anywhere as long as the volume of the room is the same as is the size of the finished portion of my basement?

I welcome all input and if having some digital pics would help to visualize more just ask and I will post them.
-Bryan

Old 08-09-05, 07:49 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
is this room an open room or closed off?? If it's an open room, You could get by with out it.. But I'd suggest to some how figure out something for it.. That way if you do have A/C added, you won't have problem trying to cool this area.

If you can post pix, that would be great.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: