where to find instructions/rules to run duct in my old home

Old 08-11-05, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
where to find instructions/rules to run duct in my old home

where would i find a book or instructions on the net on proper way of running duct work .. i have an old house with nor duct work and would like to have someone install me a heat pump with me running the duct work . .any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-05, 10:02 PM
There are a few web site that you can get the info.. I'll have to look for them.

Honestly, you are by far much better off to let the Pro do the job since they have the tools to do it.

You could do it.. but some fittings are limited at home centers, where a good metal shop can make and odd shape or what not..

Also the installing dealer can sized the duct to work w/ the heat pump and match CFM/static pressure.

Ductwork sizing is VERY important!

Old 08-12-05, 07:35 AM
i wish i could let someome do it for me but money is an issue . .it will cost about 8K to install the whole thing . .4 for the pump and 4K for the duct work .. it is a very small row house build in 1880 .. i just can't afford the 4k for duct work . . plus, once they do the duct work i still have to do the part of covering it up anyway .. i was thinking of flex ducts . . the downstairs is very easy to do as i run the duct in the basement and there are only 2 bedrooms upstairs . .i just need some instruction as how (what size ) duct to run.

Old 08-12-05, 08:40 AM
Did you get more than one bids????

Stay away from flex if all possible.. Flex REALLY slows down the air flow if not done right.. Example. if you put in a 6" metal, you wouold need to use a 8" flex so by the time they got the wrapping and insulation, it will be about 10" round.. That takes up alot of space..

I've taken flex out of homes that a customer tried to save some $$$$ and the system kept over heating on and blower motor going out.. We had to rip out all the flex and replace it with sheetmetal duct work, so end restults, he put in more money and waste of what he put in earlier himself.

Old 08-12-05, 10:12 AM
good pint . .didn't think about that! .. i guess it would be just as easy to run metal .. do u need insulation for metal as well? how about cost? are they much more expensive .. i just looked for duct work on the web and there were alot of places selling flex stuff .. but didn't see any metal stuff

Old 08-12-05, 03:30 PM
if your basement is a living area, no need to insulate it since it's not a crawl space or attic.

Metal will be more $$ since price of steel is high now.. YOu can find metal at home centers like Home Depot, but it's limited on sizes where a good metal shop can make anything.

Old 08-23-05, 08:53 AM
CrazyRay
Visiting Guest
Unhappy How can I believe the quotes on Duct replacement?

I have gotten 4 quotes on new ducts in my Attic, I have a 1960 pier and beam house. The old ducts are under the house, rusted..leaking etc..

Each quote so far has been flex ducts in the attic, and all 4 have different sizes and register's per room. I can not seem to find a place that I can put in my current system, and room size to see what would be the best of these 4 contractors.

From this site, it sounds like I need steel, but no one is wanting to do that in this old house. Any ideas out there?
TIA