Can I move my return from upstair to downstairs?

Old 08-12-05, 01:01 AM
Lynchmob723
Visiting Guest
Can I move my return from upstair to downstairs?

I am in the process of finishing my basment. I have a return duct, which is simply a solo shot off the furnace into the front living room (on the 1st floor, located on the floor). All this duct consists of is one large return. It comes off the furnace in a "L" shaped duct...the shorter end of the "L" shape (which is about 4-5ft) is between the joists so it does not effect my ceiling height. The longer part of the "L" shaped duct which is about a 10ft run, runs perpindicular with the joists and sits under them until it reaches the living room and rises in between the wall. This 10ft run is causing my low ceiling problem. Can I get rid of this 10ft run that goes to the first floor and relocate the return in the finished part of the basment. I then could make the return vent in the ceiling in the basement which is simply 5 ft from the furnace. The basement is open, so the room size is actually larger than the living room where the return is now. What do you think? What effects would this bring? I also have central air if you wanted to know.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-05, 07:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I wouild advise no on that.. If you move it to the basement only, It will affect the comfort of the home when you run A/C.. The air has to "work" it's way down into the basement and warm air rise..

What size is this return air grill that there now in the living room?

Old 08-12-05, 02:28 PM
Lynchmob723
Visiting Guest
i have other returns too. in the bedrooms...the return is large like 20"x4"
why does it have to work? it should just flow, the stairs are open to the top floor (no door).

Old 08-12-05, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How many other returns do you have upstairs??

could you move it to a hallway???

I'd hate to see you give up the comfort in the summer for A/C

Old 08-15-05, 02:07 PM
Lynchmob723
Visiting Guest
i think all three bedrooms have a return in them. then the fourth is the living room. I get what you mean now though, It would benefit me in the winter, because heat would get sucked to the basement (i think) and then in the winter the basement would turn into a chiller (cold air already sinks). Ill have to look into the hallway thing. Thanks for your help