Attic Fan / Central Air Conditioning

Old 08-12-05, 04:55 PM
djfcons
Visiting Guest
Attic Fan / Central Air Conditioning

I have a question about central air conditioning system. I have a split level house, with a combined central air conditioning / forced hot air heating system in the basement, fed to both rigid and flexible ducts near the floor on the walls in each room of our house. We recently added a 3rd level 1/2 story above the bedroom area with a master bedroom / bath, and a large (20' x 30') attic above. I have pull down stairs in the closet to gain access to the attic space, and an attic exhaust fan, which has been working overtime during the recent heat wave in the northeast.

I've heard recommendations that we should leave the attic stairs open during the day to exhaust the 3rd level hot air with the attic fan, while the central air conditioning system is set to 78 degrees during the day when nobody is home.

I've also heard that this is not a good idea, as the AC air is exhaused as well.

Any recommendations?

Old 08-12-05, 05:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

the attic space, and an attic exhaust fan, which has been working overtime during the recent heat wave in the northeast.
Just make sure the fan gets its air from the vents in the attic. No dont open the stairs there at all. One of the main jobs of the AC there is to dehumidifty then cool. So no you dont want warm moist air from the attic to get in the home.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: