Adding return vent

Old 08-16-05, 09:47 AM
slo_pitch
Visiting Guest
Adding return vent

Looking at adding a return vent on the second floor of my house. I have a 1 1/2 story house that was built in the 1950's and currently there is no return at all on the second floor. As a result the 2 bedrooms on the second floor have very little air movement and are hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

Also the main floor has 2 return vents. One in the hallway in the middle of the house and the other one is on the outside wall of my living room right above the furnace. Was also looking at closing that return and adding one on the inside wall of my living room.

Looking for advice on the easiest way to install this since eveything is finished in the house. Some people have suggest using the wall cavities vs installing actual ductwork.

Thanks, Don

Old 08-17-05, 05:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do you have a closet on top of a closet?? I would run a trunk up in the closet for a return.. Doing a wall cavity up to the upstairs from the basement will not work.

If you are able to put the living room return else where, then yes, you can use the wall cavity for the return..

Old 08-18-05, 07:00 AM
slo_pitch
Visiting Guest
adding return vent

Thanks for the reply. Attached is the Main floor layout of my house. The Dark blue rectangles are the current floor return vents and the light blue rectangle is the return ductwork running under the floor with the red square being the furnace in the basement.

I'd like to remove the one return vent and move it over to where the blue striped rectangle is which will be on the other side of the wall from the return vent in the hall.

The wall cavity that I was thinking of using for my second story is the wall that is between the blue floor vent in the hall and the proposed striped floor vent in the living room. All 3 would then tie into the main return duct under the floor.

The yellow boxes are windows and the green boxes are doors.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2.../MainFloor.jpg

Old 08-18-05, 07:28 AM
wow.. Umm.. what size is the return?? The system just has those two returns right now? nothing in the bedroom or den??

Your ideal will be fine.l

Old 08-18-05, 07:43 AM
slo_pitch
Visiting Guest
adding return vent

Gotta love the way they did things back in the 50's. Yes just the 2 returns on the main floor and nothing on the second floor. The main air return duct is actualy using the space bewteen 3 floor joists (2 spaces) so about 24 inches wide.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-18-05, 08:39 AM
D
By any chance does your house have a laundry chute? A lot of older houses do. In my previous house (a 70 year old bungalow), there were no returns upstairs but we were able to use the old laundry chute to create a fairly big return.

Old 08-18-05, 09:40 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

What is under the stairs now??? lots of time we pan over to the bottom of the stairs and pan up under the stairs .Then cut a grill in to the top riser of the stairs. You can just put another cold air grill to that same 3 1/2"X space in the floor.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: