need to remove grill of old kitchen exhaust fan

Old 09-02-05, 06:45 PM
ccmr
Visiting Guest
need to remove grill of old kitchen exhaust fan

We just moved to a house built in 1948 -- the kitchen exhaust vent fan may not have been cleaned since then, although it works (but not too well). Frankly, it stinks and we want to clean it but we can't get the grill off and don't want to damage the ceiling.

Under the gunk on the face of the grill, we found a plate that says, as far as we can tell, "Pryne & Co Inc." The rest is illegible. The vent grill is circular with arms running from the outer circle to a round hubcap which appears to be very, very tightly spring-loaded, enough so that it's impossible to pull it down more than about a quarter inch. Trying to twist the grill counter-clockwise produces a very small amount of give. There are no visible screws.

Any advice?

Old 09-03-05, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am not sure how they are held in.. My guess there might be a center pop out cover and a screw maybe behind that???

Or shine a flash light in and see if you see screws along the outter edge of the grill??

Does this exhaust out the wall or up on the ceiling?

Old 09-03-05, 06:52 PM
ccmr
Visiting Guest
It exhausts through the ceiling. We haven't spotted any screws but it's so gunked up in there that screws may be invisible.

Any suggestions on dealing with that tightly-sprung hubcap?

Old 09-03-05, 07:27 PM
Can you take pictures of it??? and post it or link us to the site of this pix?

Old 06-06-07, 06:22 PM
W
Wink whodeaney

I just encountered the same one and my house too was built that same year. My motor quit so as it was broken I decided I could not break it by attempting to repair it. It has been a good one and the hood is abt 4ft long and 2 ft high so I wanted to keep it original. I discovered that the round plate screws off -then the fan and its housing are mounted on 3 rubber feet horizionatally that meerly projected into round holes on the side of the circular housing . They can be pryed sideways a bit and they will come out relatively easy. Be ready to catch it and the motor plugs in at the side. Thus the whole thing is ready to be cleaned and for shame on you if it looks like mine! LOL Appears to be a quality vent- PS - oil the motor before re-installing as it has a place to do so on the side of it. Good luck and God Bless.

Old 01-04-08, 01:32 PM
P
Question Pryne ceiling exaust fan

thanks for the info on how to get the circular palte off. I have done that, but have not yet removed the motor yet. Argh, this is a vintage house and the thing is greasy as all get out. What I would like to know, is there a filter to be changed with this type of exaust fan or do you just clean it? Min is ceiling mounted, and goes into the attic.

Old 01-05-08, 09:27 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
My parent's house had the same thing, a fan mounted in the ceiling with a circular grille (inside a square stainless-steel frame) that turned maybe an eighth of a turn to remove.

The fan plugged into the side of the housing and if I recall correctly (it's been more than thirty years) the fan bracket either lifted out of slots or had to be turned and then lifted.

The only "filter" on this unit was the grille and yes, the grille and the fan / motor got REALLY greasy. I think we cleaned it once a year or so.

Old 02-06-08, 08:54 AM
B
Pryne Exhaust Fan

Im restoring a vintage 1948 house that has a pryne circular exhaust fan in the kitchen.I was reading on this thread of some people replacing this same type of fam.Did anyone keep the grille??? I would like to purchase a clean one,not rusty.Or did anyone find out where to get parts for these.
Thanks

Old 02-07-08, 09:50 AM
Wink

Might try Grainger company . If you can buy from them. Its always best to make your own post here.

Old 09-28-09, 11:14 AM
D
Pyrne Kitchen hood exhaust

I'm trying to find a replacement for an old exhaust fan made by Pryne & Co they were located in Pomona California at least 40-50 years ago. I pulled out the motor - it does not have anything written on it - it is attached to a fan. I would like to replace this - any ideas. thank you Mark

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: