Attic Ventilation Fans in Gable End

Old 09-17-05, 07:32 AM
chin14609
Visiting Guest
Attic Ventilation Fans in Gable End

I have a serious ice flow issue during the winter time. I want to install gable end fans in my attic that have auto temp and humidity controls that turn the fan on and off as needed depending on conditions. Heres the problem:

The original house was built in the 1950's it wa more or less a rectangle shape that the gables face east west. In the 1970's a two story addition was built to the south of the original structure. The builders put a small opening (6' x 4') into the additions attic space. The gable in this area is slightly shorter than the main attic and the gable faces south. I also have discovered a chase that runs from the furnace to the attic. I have a finished basement. The icing problem is in the new small area of the attic as well a little bit in the original attic. Do I put the fans in the small attic space, in the new attic space, or both? The house is only 1900 sq ft so I am afriad that if I put too many fans in the attic space, that I will not have enough make up air and it will start drawing air from the chase that runs to the basement and then I risk flue gases from the water heater and furnace getting into the house and not exhausting. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Old 09-21-05, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

I think first is to find out just where all this humidity is comeing from . Any V/B on the ceiling or under the insulation there in the attic. Id sure close off or block that chase from the basement to the attic for sure.

my .02 cents ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: