* Clothes dryer venting problem *

Old 10-10-05, 11:49 PM
Raine
Visiting Guest
Exclamation * Clothes dryer venting problem *

I have a corrugated metal exhaust pipe attached to my Kenmore dryer. It moves the air to a long pipe that goes through the crawl space under my house to an outside exhaust vent (approximately 30 feet from the dryer to the outside vent). It takes a full load of clothes approx. 80 minutes to dry. The laundry room gets very steamy with a ton of lint behind the dryer, and a ton of lint clogged on the screen of the outside exhaust vent (which I am constantly cleaning).

Question--I'm concerned about this entire system and want someone to look over the entire thing to identify what I can do to make it cleaner and safer (I'm worried about it causing a fire one day). What type of professional should I contact to do this type of work? Also, I'm thinking that perhaps the outside exhaust vent should be closer to the dryer. This would involve cutting through a wall. Could the same professional give me advice regarding this?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Old 10-11-05, 11:16 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, you have a terrible vent design. I'm sure if you go into the crawlspace and remove a section of the duct that it would be almost entire blocked from yrs of lint. I had a similar setup with my dryer. To run acceptably, I had to clean the entire vent about every 4 months. I solved my problem by moving my dryer to an exterior wall and drying times were cut in half.

As I see it, you have two options:

1. clean the vent out once a quarter.

2. move the dryer to a better location (an exterior wall).

Number 2 is a much better overall solution if you can make it work. I'm very glad I did, I used the chance to move my washer and dryer upstairs next to all the bedrooms. The dryer now sometimes beats the washer done. As for professionals, I dont know if duct clean services clean dryer ducts or not. To move the dryer you will need and electrican if its electric. Only use solid metal ductwork, no flexible duct. Cutting a whole through the wall and running a couple feet of duct is pretty easy and probably a handy man job.

Old 10-11-05, 06:15 PM
Raine
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Chris.

I've hired a guy who does dryer vent cleaning and can work on the exhaust system as needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: