Cold Rooms / Dampers?/ Duct Fans?

Old 10-11-05, 08:38 PM
dpisula
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Cold Rooms / Dampers?/ Duct Fans?

I am trying to find a way to balance the heat in my house. I live in a ranch style home with a split foorplan. The master bedroom in on one end of the house and the other bedrooms are on the opposite end of the house. The air handler in my house is not in a central location. It is located near the master bedroom. You can guess that the master bedroom gets all the heat. The run to the other bedrooms are made with flex duct the whole length of the house. Needless to say the bedrooms at the far end of the house are cold. What can I do to help force the heat to the other end of the house? Should I use dampers to limit the heat being pushed to the master bedroom? I feel like I get good air flow in the far bedrooms. It just isn't warm... or warm enough to maintain room temps.

System is a TEMPSTAR heat pump.

Any ideas or guidence appreciated.

We have already tried closing the registers........

Last edited by dpisula; 10-11-05 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-12-05, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What size flex are they using?? Why not sheet metal.. No reason why they can't use that in the basment..

Flex are known for pour air flow.. Do you have returns in that room as well?

Old 10-13-05, 10:45 AM
E
You say the flow is ok with the flex but it would dramatically improve with metal ductwork.

First thing I would do (if possible), replace the flex duct with metal duct and then install dampers. Ideally, it works best if the dampers are located near the furnace.

As stated earlier, do you have returns?

Old 10-14-05, 11:07 AM
dpisula
Visiting Guest
OK - I have to say that I am the idiot. I wrote this thread the other night off memory. I hadn't been it the crawl space since the spring. I don't know why I thought the run was entirely flex. I went under the house this afternoon. The following link is to some pics I took today. There is a main trunk line that all the 6" flex lines come off to each room.

http://photos.yahoo.com/dpisula

Either way I still have the same problem. Cold rooms at the far end of the house. The second pic is a good example of the two ducts that are putting all the heat into the master bed/bath. You can see that the air handler is directly above these ducts.

As for the question of returns. I have a total of five returns in the house. One in each of the "cool" bedrooms, one in the main hall, one in the kitchen(largest), and one in the master bedroom.

My opinion is to replace the duct work for the master bed/bath with metal ducts and install dampers to help force the warm air to the other end of the house.

Is this the best option or can someone offer additional advice? What are the odds that this will solve the problem?

Old 10-14-05, 07:15 PM
Ok, the larger duct run going to the right away from the air handler is feeding the cooler rooms, and the flex only from the left feeds the master bedroom?

You could put dampers into the 6" flex area to cut down the air flow.

Old 10-14-05, 07:50 PM
dpisula
Visiting Guest
You are correct the large duct run to the right is to the cooler temp rooms.

Do you think that the dampers will help to force the air to the other end of the house? Or will that just make the air flow to the "middle" of the house?
Creating the effect that I would a damper with some amount of restriction from the air handler to the ducts of the cooler rooms????

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: