Better to put duct work in attic or crawlspace?

Old 10-14-05, 08:02 PM
clueless in MP
Visiting Guest
Better to put duct work in attic or crawlspace?

We are rebuilding our house and the contractor wants to move the furnace and ductwork to the attic rather than leaving the furnace in the garage and running the ductwork through the crawlspace. We live in San Fran. bay area. Is one option better than another?

Old 10-15-05, 05:55 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clueless in MP
We are rebuilding our house and the contractor wants to move the furnace and ductwork to the attic rather than leaving the furnace in the garage and running the ductwork through the crawlspace. We live in San Fran. bay area. Is one option better than another?
PREFACE: I am not a moderator, professional handyman, etc. My opinion, such as it is, is based on practical experience in maintaining my aging personal home and some modest rental houses over the past several years.
All homes and geographical areas are unique. I would (if practical), prefer to have my furnace (if it is natural gas) not located right next to my actual living space (garage sounds good). Although not much publicized, natural gas furnaces can, due to neglect, malfunction and explode. Granted, it's rare, but it does happen. I don't think I would want one located in my attic or underneath the floor unless there is no other choice. As a matter of fact, due to safety concerns, it is now against the local code in this area to install a furnace underneath the floor.

I think it is better to have one's furnace and ductwork somewhat exposed to facilitate routine inspection and maintenace.

Just my two cents worth. Try to get some more opinions.

Addendum: I'm replacing my old natural gas furnaces, as needed, with gas packs which are a combination of furnace and airconditioner. They are situated next to an outside wall. Since they are outside and well ventilated, leaky gas fumes are less likely to build up.

A long time ago, I lived in the Bay Area for a couple of years. I don't recall needing much heat -- and virtually no airconditioning. You are fortunate to reside in such a pleasant climate.

Last edited by notsohandy; 10-15-05 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-18-05, 03:51 PM
Brandon
Visiting Guest
If air conditioning is more important, than you want duct overhead. If you run your heat more, than I would suggest trying to keep the registers in the floor. The reason is that warm air goes up and the cool air falls. If heating is more important for you and your ducts are in the ceiling you will have noticably cold floors.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: