routing heat from a duct

Old 10-17-05, 01:06 PM
R
rob
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
routing heat from a duct

Hi - I have forced air gas heat. Some of the ducts are in the floor. Usually this isn't a problem, but now we want to move a couch directly over a vent. Is it OK to put some kind of extension that routes the air to the edge of the couch rather than coming up directly under it? Is this ok to do?

Thanks,
Rob

Old 10-17-05, 05:54 PM
Yeah, you will be fine by running something out to the edge of the couch.

Old 10-18-05, 08:35 AM
R
rob
What's the easiest way to do this?

Thanks. Can you reccommend an easy way to accomplish this? The first part is how to attach to the duct, and then next piece is running the ducting under the couch. I wonder if I could build some flexible ducting with magnets that stick to the existing duct, so it doesn't have to be so permanent.

Suggestions appreciated!

Rob

Old 10-18-05, 03:46 PM
Brandon
Visiting Guest
Rob,

Covering one register shouldn't be that much of an issue. It won't hurt for the air to blow under the couch. It will find it's way out. Assuming that the couch has legs of some sort. I'd only worry about it if you start to notice the room being colder than the rest of the house.

Old 10-19-05, 06:35 AM
E
Rob,
That's great that you realized this is a problem...most people will just throw the couch over a register and not think anything of it. Covering a register (return or supply) with furniture disrupts the flow of air required to keep a room feeling comfortable, in.

From your second message, it appears you are trying to accomplish this by running ductwork on top of the floor (under the couch). If the couch will be there for a while, you might want to consider a more permenent solution.

Do you not have access to the floor from below? In the basement perhaps?

Old 10-19-05, 07:48 AM
I have seen someone had a sheet metal shop make a "U" channel. Cut it to size of the vent, and bring almost to the edge, and painted black.

Old 11-01-05, 12:11 PM
R
rob
thx

Hi - I'm not interested in anything permanent at this point, which would be easy since I have good access.

I like the idea about having a vent fab'd at a shop, or maybe I'll get out my tin snips!

thx again

Old 11-01-05, 04:27 PM
C
The Home Hardware chain in Canada sells a product made specifically for this situation. I would imagine a big hardware store in your area has it too -- maybe Home Depot as well.

It's called Extend-A-Vent Air Deflector and sells here for Cdn$9.99. It's a U-shaped clear piece of plastic with an open end in front and closed one at the rear where it fits over the floor register.

Old 11-01-05, 04:36 PM
R
rob
perfect!

That saves me some grief! They have them at OSH.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: