Small basement finishing project

Old 10-17-05, 01:14 PM
JohnONeill
Visiting Guest
Small basement finishing project

Hello all, and let me say what a great forum this is!

I am in the process of finishing a 250 sq foot basement in my townhouse and adding a small bathroom and rec room. One wall that is shared with the neighbor is already drywalled (by the builder) but everything else is still open.

Images here: basement

I have a couple of questions in regards to the HVAC work. I am attempting to do as much of this as possible, since most contractors have been unwilling to give me a quote for such a small job. Others are quoting very large amounts that are outside my budget.

1. I have installed a bathroom vent fan and will be running 20' of galv. pipe through the I-joists in the garage to the exterior wall. Does it matter if the exterior vent ends up over the garage door?

2. Does the bathroom need a separate hot/cold air supply register?

3. In regards to the cold air return, I understand I need to add one somewhere in this room. Can I put one in the stairwell wall just opposite where the furnace is, and tie into the other duct that is coming from the air return on the 1st floor? Picture here: furnace and stairwell

4. For the hot/cold register, I was thinking of adding an extension to the existing soffit on the other side of the room and running a new duct that terminates in the corner of the room. Is this a good idea? Picture here:
opposite side of room

Thanks in advance for any expert advice!

John

Old 10-17-05, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whoa!!!!

I am lost for word on that work that already been done!

Those flex duct are NOT used here... It'a all metal for better air flow.

I would rip all those flex out and start all over to be honest.

I had one home one time had this done the furnace didn't last more 2 years due to the flex. We pulled all the flex out and replaced it with metal.

We'll see what the other guys says.

Old 10-18-05, 05:44 AM
E
A few answers for consideration:

1. When you say running through the joists, are planning to cut holes in the joists to pass the pipe through? How big of a hole? You may be compromising the integrity of the joists if the hole os too large.

As long as it is venting to the outside, then I do not see a problem with the proposed location.

2. Each room should have a supply register. The room would be cold without it.

3. Ideally, the cold air return should be placed at the lowest part of the room. From your question, it seems you would be placing this on the stair landing. If so, the return would not be drawing the cold air off the floor in the basement as the step is higher then the floor. In addition, there are code requirements regarding the distance between the cold air return and the furnace. I believe is must be at least 10 feet away, but you will need to check this out with your municipality or local codes.

4. Good idea to have the register in the ceiling. But, try to have your register at opposite ends of the room from your cold air return which will improve air circulation.

Big job, but I would agree to replace your flex duct with galvanized piping. This will dramatically improve air flow and efficiency.

Old 10-18-05, 06:28 AM
JohnONeill
Visiting Guest
Hi, thanks for the responses.

In regards to the joists, I was planning on cutting 4" holes to accommodate the galvanized pipe. The I-joist webbing width is much larger, and I've checked the structural specifications on this brand and it should be well within manufacture recommendations. It has to be 8" away from any other smaller holes, which should not be a problem. There are some PVC pipes that are approx. 4" in diameter running through other parts of the basement in similar fashion.

I will move the cold air return to be situated next to the door exiting the basement. I should be able to run a duct under the stairs and then install a return in the space between the studs next to the door (or is that a bad idea?) The space next to the door on the side next to the stairs is 10' away, almost exactly.

I'll plan on keeping the register on the other side of the room, in the ceiling where the soffit currently ends. And I'll add one in the bathroom.

Thanks again!

Old 10-19-05, 06:12 AM
E
Good location for the return as it will draw the cold air as it flows down the stairs.

Is that your smoke alarm on the wall near the door existing the basement? Not sure about your local code, but the Fire Code for my area states that the alarm must installed on the ceiling near a stairwell. Since smoke rises quickly, it will rise up the stairwell before it actually reaches the smoke alarm in that location. Check your local to make sure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: