Is it OK to vent hot air from computer into walls?

Old 10-17-05, 05:39 PM
cmulder
Visiting Guest
Is it OK to vent hot air from computer into walls?

The computer in my home office generates quite a bit of heat. Its under the desk and therefore the heat collects there and make the area warm not to mention the computer hotter. I could vent to the outside, but all this is is hot air and I figure its easier to simply but a hole in the back of the desk (which sits up against a wall) and vent the hot air into the wall space. Utimately it would rise up to the second floor where it would hit insulation and eventually dissipate. Is there any problem with that?

If there is a problem venting in the wall, is it easy to cut a hole to the outside (the outside of the house is the typical spray coat (forget the name now) they put on houses here in California).

Old 10-17-05, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'd say that is going to be more work than good.

I would suggest a wall fan that transfer heat from one room into another.

Old 10-18-05, 05:27 AM
E
If you have any humidity or moisture in your home, this will be sent into the wall cavity. You do not want moisture to be trapped inside the wall cavity.

Old 10-18-05, 10:03 AM
cmulder
Visiting Guest
Well, I live in California so there is not much moisture. The other thing is on the other side of the wall is a very large area surrouding the fireplace and flume--a lot of space around that area.

Old 10-19-05, 06:49 AM
E
Fireplace and flume...hhuum. By breaking a hole in this spot, becareful you are not affecting any fire barriers.

Old 10-20-05, 07:01 AM
C
I wouldn't do it. It would also be bad for the computer, since there are does have anywhere to go once inside the wall. I would look at buying longer cables and move the computer to a better spot. I would also look at increasing the overall room ventilation.

Old 10-20-05, 07:14 AM
Wink

I sure dont think to cut into a wall to the other room with a fireplace is good at all. Or to let the air just in the wall. You say outside wall and your in CA. Id say get a drier vent with flipper in it and vent to the outside wall. Grainger would have a small fan that would fit the 4" vent pipe to the out side .

ED

Old 10-20-05, 10:39 AM
cmulder
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
I sure dont think to cut into a wall to the other room with a fireplace is good at all. Or to let the air just in the wall. You say outside wall and your in CA. Id say get a drier vent with flipper in it and vent to the outside wall. Grainger would have a small fan that would fit the 4" vent pipe to the out side .

ED
Yes, I am leaning that way. Why the small fan? I was thinking just connection tubing to the exhaust on the computer. Are you talking about a fan in the vent? How would that work?

Old 10-20-05, 01:02 PM
Wink

That small fan there on the power head of the PC cant push the air out a pipe or duct. Thats why Id like let the pc vent to the room. Just have this flipper vent pipe to the outside with another small fan in it near the back of your PC. Turn it on when ever you need to.

ED

Old 10-20-05, 03:45 PM
cmulder
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
That small fan there on the power head of the PC cant push the air out a pipe or duct. Thats why Id like let the pc vent to the room. Just have this flipper vent pipe to the outside with another small fan in it near the back of your PC. Turn it on when ever you need to.

ED
Sounds good--got a link to an example of something like that?

Old 10-20-05, 04:24 PM

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: