Do I have enough blower power to add a few registers?

Old 10-21-05, 09:56 AM
jcbpilot99
Visiting Guest

Is there a book available (schedule 7 maybe ??) that can determine if my existing air handler can handle more air registers based on square footage, exterior vs. interior wall, ceiling height, duct run, fan strength, etc? The setup is natural gas furnace and air conditioner.

The equipment is installed in a cape cod with a second floor that is HOT in the summer and cold in the winter. The house is 50 years old and central air was retrofitted by the previous owner 10 years ago. There is only one register per room on the second floor (3 total), and they all tap off one single duct measuring 6" x 12".

The system only seems to do it's job on the first floor. We use a window unit air conditioner to make the second floor usable in the summer and want to stop doing this. The partially finished basement has issues too with only 2 registers for 850 sq ft.

Can I add a few to either level (2nd or basement)?

Thanks in advance for suggestions / ideas.

Old 10-21-05, 03:42 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

tell you what you can do add a few with dampers so if it cant handle it you can close them i would add them one at a time and go from there . just a thought with out doing the hole nine yards to see if it will work

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: