Attic Ventilation Vents?? which type is better?

Old 10-22-05, 01:00 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vents ?? whats best

Whats the best type of vents to use between Ridge Vents and Whirly Birdy thingys?

If Whirly Birdy things are better can they be put on instead of the current ridge vents since there is a lack of complete sheathing under the ridge vents? having whole new roof put on due to hurricane ripping off many shingles.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-05, 06:33 PM
Labman
Visiting Guest
The ridge vent is to allow the roof to breathe, so moisture doesn't get trapped under the roof and cause rot. Ridge vents also allow some of the trapped heat to escape. Overtime, moisture under the roof, can cause the plywood sheathing to delamenate, and rot. the metal fans that spin do the same thing as the ridge vent. A bit more unsightly, and I've heard folks say they rust. Under the ridge vent, the space that is cut into the sheathing at the peak is usually about an inch total. Basically a slot, with the ridge vent placed on top then the cap shingles. You could use both types of vents at the same time if you chose to. IMOP, the flat ridge vent blends better with the profile of the house. Hope this helps.

Old 10-23-05, 07:52 PM
Roof ridge are better..

Old 10-24-05, 07:18 AM
N
Originally Posted by Slidell
Whats the best type of vents to use between Ridge Vents and Whirly Birdy thingys?

If Whirly Birdy things are better can they be put on instead of the current ridge vents since there is a lack of complete sheathing under the ridge vents? having whole new roof put on due to hurricane ripping off many shingles.
Those "Whirly Birdy thingys" (turbine vents) are very effective for helping to suck out moisture and hot air from the attic (you usually need more than just one of two). Also about once a year you should put a few drops of oil on the shaft so it will keep on spinning.

Ridge roofs are great also. I use both on my rental house and my own house. The attics are much cooler in summer. I also have gable and soffit vents. A combination of everything is very effective.

A problem with turbine vents is that in a strong hurricane they can be blown off. I don't think you can install them any more in Florida.

I think the ideal thing is a powerful electric gable fan (mounted in the gables). They help keep the attic dry and cool and reduce the airconditioning bill. My gables are not high enough to accomodate the desired gable mounted fan.

Old 10-24-05, 09:31 AM
Roofman
Visiting Guest
Natural ventilation is the most common and energy-efficient method of achieving attic temperature and moisture control.
Read more <a href=http://roofingsystem.biz/ventilation.html>http://roofingsystem.biz/ventilation.html</a>