problem with hot air flow in new system

Old 11-01-05, 06:31 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
problem with hot air flow in new system

Hi all,

I have a brand new hydro-air system in the upper (bedroom) floor of my home. Air vents and returns are in the ceiling. I'm finding that the heat stays near the ceiling, never circulates down to the floor area. I can't believe this is the way it's supposed to be. My toes are cold!
Can anyone tell me what might be wrong?
Thanks,
Della

Old 11-01-05, 06:54 AM
E
This is not the way it is supposed to be.

Think of it this way. Hot air rises so if your supplies and returns are on the ceiling, then there is nothing to draw the air down to the floor level.

Typically, supplies are located on or near the floor and the returns are usually placed on the opposite end of the supplies so that they pull the warm air across the room. This is the only efficient way to balance the temperature in a room.

If possible, install the supplies at the floor level.

Old 11-03-05, 01:24 PM
D
Thanks for your response. The problem is the system is already installed with air supply in the ceilings. As the unit is in the attic, the installer felt that was the only alternative. Is there something else I could do to get the hot air to circulate?
Thanks,
Della

Old 11-03-05, 01:29 PM
You might try a ceiling fan set with the air blowing downward on a low speed. Good Luck.

Old 11-03-05, 01:29 PM
Could put a ceiling fan in, and run it backwards in the winter.

Old 11-04-05, 08:56 AM
E
A ceiling fan may help. But then you will have a breeze blowing down on you whenever it is on. It is a cheap possible solution, so give it a try.

I would ask the contractor to provide you with an estimate to run the supply down to the floor. I haven't seen your space, but it might be as easy as running ductwork down a corner of the room and then boxing it in.

Old 11-04-05, 10:25 AM
Wink

Id say get back on the one that put it in. First is the duct work sized Right??? Then did they use the right kind of registers??
We put many jobs in in the ceiling that way and they work. Yes it helps a lot for a cold air pick up down near the floor. Havr you tried to kick up the blower speed????

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: