Neglected Air Cleaner

Old 11-02-05, 01:08 PM
spudnugget
Visiting Guest
Neglected Air Cleaner

With the purchase of my home, I've inherited an ancient Honeywell Air Cleaner on my furnace that probably has never had the electrostatic grids cleaned. The traditional recommendation of cleaning the grids in the dishwasher doesn't seem to be cutting through the carbon deposits that have built up over decades. Short of nasty solvents and a load of q-tips, any suggestions on how to cut through the muck? (For better or worse, the circuitry still runs fine so I'm looking to keep it.)

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-02-05, 07:46 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
they do sell products for that but i dont know of any over the counter to buy i call a tech and have him do a full cleaning and chech out your system so your off to a good start

Old 11-02-05, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not knowing how old it is.. I think the best thing you can do is turn off the EAC, and pulls the wires.. And replace the cells/pre filter with a media filter.

Take the cells out and lay them down and messure them, then you most likely can get a media filter and slip it right into the unit where the cell was.

The media filter only needs to be changed once a year or twice if you ran the fan all the time.

Old 11-03-05, 08:20 PM
Received 14 Votes on 10 Posts
Try using a high pressure wand at a self service car wash. Use the soap setting, then the rinse. You might need a couple of cycles to clean it thoroughly. This is how I cleaned my aunts unit and it worked well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: