Powered Floor registers ???

Old 11-03-05, 01:39 PM
dan383
Visiting Guest
Powered Floor registers ???

Hello,
Can anyone tell me if powered floor registers exist? I am having a hard time finding any information on them. I am looking for a floor register with an electric fan fo force air up from my basement to my living room. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 11-03-05, 02:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have not heard or see such thing.. Just wall mount or toe kick.

Why you want floor?

Old 11-03-05, 03:31 PM
dan383
Visiting Guest
Power Floor register

I have a good heat source in my basement and regular floor registers seem inefficient. I was thinking there must be a device like a floor register with a fan to force warm air up.

Old 11-03-05, 08:15 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
You have a couple of alternatives...You can buy those duct boosters and install them under regular grilles. I have also seen fan powered boosters that are designed to sit on floor registers. They have a switch and plug into a nearby wall outlet. Check at large home improvement centers or any HVAC shop.

Old 11-04-05, 01:32 AM
dan383
Visiting Guest
Thank you Andy. I will try to find the duct booster you mentioned. I have seen the ones that sit on top of the vent in another posting in this forum, but to me they look like an accident waiting to happen. I would prefer a fan that sits under the grate for looks and safety. Thanks again for your response.

Old 11-04-05, 06:34 AM
I have seen these boster at work, I thought you ment electric heater.. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Anyway.. about these boster fan, I've heard alot of mixed reviews on these fan.. Most I seen saying these fan don't do much better.. or are noisey.

How far of run are these duct? metal? Size?

Old 11-04-05, 06:41 AM
Dan,

I had one of the booster fans for about a week before I returned it to the store (it was just too noisy for me). I had it in a bedroom, but in your living room, the noise may be acceptable. The model I had was from fieldcontrols and had a built-in thermostat. I simply set the thermostat until it turned off so that when your furnace blows warm air, the fan turns on.

It did seem to increase the airflow and improve heating somewhat but fan was rather loud.
It only had a 6 foot power cord: Measure your distance from receptacle to the vent first.
The theromstat control was touchy: The thermostat did not turn the fan on right away and it did not shut off once the furnance stopped.

I purchased the unit at Menards. The Home Depot or Lowes probably carries them too.

Good luck
Chris

Old 11-04-05, 02:55 PM
dan383
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all who responded. This site is a great resource. I'll be back !!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: