Bathroom vent not venting

Old 11-07-05, 05:04 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a bathroom light/vent. The room is tiny (8x8) and I find after a hot shower there is a lot a steam there with the vent on. The vent is not vented to the outside, it just goes up to the attic. The attic is cooler, could that be it? I can't remember the power of the vent but I remember when I bought it, I did some research and it was ample for a room that size.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-07-05, 08:23 AM

Venting to the attic is an absolute no-no!!! - You will end up with condensation and possibly rot and mold.

Do you have an air supply in your bathroom? - If not, you should have one.

Most ceiling fans are only powered vents meant to remove odors. If you really want to remove the heavy, moist air you will need more power and a source of fresh air into the bathroom.

Dick

Old 11-07-05, 10:48 AM
Wink

For sure dont just vent it in the attic there. you can run a pipe off it to the over hang of the home and vent it out that way. Or they have roof jacks with a flipper right in them so you can vent it up and out the roof. Grainger . Johnstone supply home depot and Lowes should all have them.

ED

Old 11-07-05, 11:07 AM
sklim1
Visiting Guest
I have a similiar problem and need an expert's advice.

I have a Nutone LS80 ceiling vent fan in a bathroom for awhile and noticed it just don't pull the steam up as forceful as before. Is there an easy to see if the unit is really bad? I notice the fan inside still moves.

Old 11-07-05, 11:19 AM
C
What do you mean by do I have an air supply?

So that vent isn't really pulling the air out? Would it work better if it was vented outside? The attic is open on the gable ends and cold air just blows through.

Thanks.

Old 11-07-05, 11:23 AM
Wink

sklim1 ON most units the fan part will drop out to clean the blades and also check in the out pipe there lots of time the flipper gets stuck and dont open to let air out.

ED

Old 11-07-05, 12:38 PM
sklim1
Visiting Guest
Great, I did not know they can be removed and cleaned. That could be the reason as it's noticeable dirty. I also checked the flipper on the vent and is not stuck but I assume flipper opens up and down as air is pushed out.

A side question, we had moe built up a few times that extended to our bedroom walls as the steam came out of our bathroom. We simply wiped it off using bleach, is that enough? Is there any health concerns even cleaning with bleach?

A bit worried because of what moe can do to your health. Moe is now no longer occurring as we made sure the fan is on and the window is open.

Old 11-07-05, 01:20 PM
C
Coopns,

When a vent sucks air out of the bathroom, that air has to be replaced by new air coming into the bathroom. Otherwise your fan will not be very productive. There are several ways to do this.

1. Crack or open the bathroom door if privacy permits,

2. Cut the bottom of the bathroom door to allow more air in,

3. Some people run the AC/Furnace with the fan continously on (assuming you have a duct in the bathroom),

4. Install a room to room vent

The new incoming air helps greatly by allowing the fan to operate more efficiently and continously diluting the water vapor in the air.

Old 11-07-05, 02:50 PM
sklim1
Visiting Guest
That's a good point. My wife was so paranoid about open the bathroom windows that she thinks by having a vent fan, everything else can be closed. That is obviously not the case.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: