floor registers+curious cat=potential disaster

Old 11-07-05, 02:08 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
floor registers+curious cat=potential disaster

I have floor registers in each room, each has a fairly heavy cover, but they are not snug enough. One of my cats is smallish, playful and curious. She's actually managed to lift a couple of the covers, and yesterday my dog was laying on one, jumped up quickly & pulled it up with her (her tag had got stuck in it). I've temporarily put heavy objects on the edges, but that's not a good idea.

I'm looking for some ideas for non-permanent solutions. A special net I can put inside to keep my feline friend from slipping into the ductwork? A super-strong wafer-thin silcone seal that releases with a butter knife?

I don't know if this matters, but almost all the floors in question are differently surfaced and the covers are made of various materials.

Old 11-07-05, 06:13 PM
I have never had anyone have that problem before.... Guess only thing you could do is drill a small pilot hole, then put a small screw in to hold it into place?

Old 11-08-05, 07:08 AM
N
Exclamation

Like Jay said, probably the best thing to do would be to drill some small pilot holes around the edges of the vent cover flange and use some small wood screws to affix the register vent to the perimeter of the opening. Applying some duct tape (or some other type of padding) around the edge of the flange might also work to keep it snug in the opening. Those holes are supposed to be of proper size to keep the vents snug. Apparently who ever installed yours, cut the holes (openings) too large.

My humble advice also would be to make sure your kitty doesn't get inside the labyrinth of duct work -- could be a problem getting her out of there?

Plastic magnetic vent covers (used to divert the outflowing air across the floor, instead of going straight up) are also available. I started using those after one of my cats urinated into one of the register vents. A plastic diverter cover should keep your pets from trying to lie on top of the vents.

One of my cats (before I got the diverters) used to like to sleep on top of the vents, in the winter, when warm air was coming out. Now she just sleeps out in front of the vent.

Old 11-08-05, 08:31 AM
J
Originally Posted by notsohandy
Plastic magnetic vent covers (used to divert the outflowing air across the floor, instead of going straight up) are also available. I started using those after one of my cats urinated into one of the register vents. A plastic diverter cover should keep your pets from trying to lie on top of the vents.
I have some of these, and maybe the magnets are just too small, but in my experience they don't stay put. I have a 70+ lb. dog, an 18 lb. cat and that small, but rambunctious, other cat. A couple of the covers are the very heavy wood types, that's the kind the dog's tag got stuck in the other day.

The issue with that little cat is not that she likes to lay on them. She's more concerned with trying to figure out what's underneath, or in them. When I had filters in them, she was able to pull them out, and in a couple cases, pulled the entire cover out of the hole. And that's when she was smaller!

I'll head to Lowes later today & see what they might have.

Old 11-08-05, 09:55 AM
N
Originally Posted by jonezart
I have some of these, and maybe the magnets are just too small, but in my experience they don't stay put. I have a 70+ lb. dog, an 18 lb. cat and that small, but rambunctious, other cat. A couple of the covers are the very heavy wood types, that's the kind the dog's tag got stuck in the other day.
Well, can't you just get some small wood screws and screw the things to the floor? No doubt, it would be a small chore (depending on how many affected registers you have), but I don't know why it wouldn't work.

It was suggested earlier that you might could drill some small pilot holes in the flanges of the register and screw them in that way (out of sight) -- but, duh! **slapping forehead** it just occurred to me that wouldn't work because once the vent is in place you wouldn't have access to the screw holes.

Just get some small decorative wood screws and screw them into the floor from the top side of the vents. Shouldn't be much of an eyesore.

Old 11-08-05, 10:08 AM
T
Had the same problem

My cat actually made it into the ductwork years ago...... It was "nip n tuck" as to whether or not we would ever get her out... (we did)...... Screw those registers down.... or possibly pay the price down the road........

Old 11-09-05, 08:57 AM
Wink

The boot that the register sets in there. The lip of it should be turned over on the floor some. So like said punch a hole on each side of the register and wood screw or sheet metal screw it down. We use the same register for the floor as we do for the ceiling outlets. If they are near an outside wall.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: