Add Cold Air Return In Basement

Old 11-13-05, 01:04 PM
IOHUNI
Visiting Guest
Add Cold Air Return In Basement

I bought a home that is 3 years old with a 100,000BTU Carrier furnace. The home is a 2-storey (1500SqFt) with developed Basement (900SqFt).

Recently I removed a wall that separated two main areas, and now I have one large area with a separate bathroom and large closet. In the wall I removed was the return air on each side for each area that used to be separate. Now I have a return air in the ceiling, 5 feet from a supply, and 4 feet from an exterior door. Poor situation I assume!

I would like to block off the return air in the ceiling and relocate it. The basement is cold in winter (Alberta, Canada), and I am going to tie into a supply duct and add another return on the oposite side of the room to the floor (rest are in ceiling). Secondly, I would like to cut a hole in my main return air into furnace, and provide a return air grill at floor level a few feet away from the duct. The furnace is in a room by itself.

Ultimately, I would like this to help ease the pain with cold basement in winter. Do you see any major concerns with my implimentations?

Old 11-15-05, 08:29 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Return air grills should be placed on the floor.
Supplies are placed on the ceiling (in basement).
Do not place a return air anywhere near the furnace. They should be placed a minimum of 10 feet away to avoid back drafting.

Hope this helps to answer some concerns.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: