Installing a bathroom vent through Silent Floor joist

Old 11-28-05, 07:22 AM
VAcoalcracker
Visiting Guest
Installing a bathroom vent through Silent Floor joist

I'm fininshing my basement and adding a bathroom, which will need a vent. My house is relatively new 5+yrs and has the Silent Floor joist system. I've punched several half dollar sized holes in the joists to fish wire and small dia. tubing through, but nothing larger. To install the vent I need to install some ductwork and I can either go perpendicular through the joist (meaning cut a 3-4" hole through one joist) to get to the rim joist (about 24") or I can run parallel to the joist 25' to the back of the house and have to deal with lights, and wires and HVAC ducts. Is it safe to make the cut and go the short route or is the long way the only way to go? Is there a very big risk of the joist failing by making the 3-4" cut in the joist?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-05, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

just cut it.

Old 11-30-05, 01:43 PM
gb711
Visiting Guest
Check the manufacturer and go to their website. you should be able to obtain the necessary information about hole sizes and placement of the holes. Also, check out the joists. I did and found several copies of installation instructions for silent floor. 3 to 4 in hole should be no problem.