Humidifier Placement On Cold Air Return?

Old 11-28-05, 01:20 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Humidifier Placement On Cold Air Return?

Because of the constrution and location of my furnace, I am unable to place a humidifier on the warm air pelnum. Will it do any good to place the humidifier on the cold air return ductwork? If feasable, it would have to go before the electronic air cleaner.

I've been told it is better than nothing! I wonder if it's a waste of time and effort.

Old 11-28-05, 01:56 PM
What model/brand are you getting??

How close to the EAC? How old is the EAC?

Old 11-29-05, 09:42 AM
E
Jay:

Thanks for your response.

It will be (if) placed appx. 18" left of the EAC .... up the air return about 12" higher than the EAC. The humidifier I have is an Autoflow 200P that was on the furnace. Appx. 14 years old.

Whether the humidifier is this one or a new one ............ is it worth putting it on the cold air return? Will it do anything to humidify the house or will the heat from the furnace push the humidity up the stack before it gets to the warm air plenum??

Old 11-29-05, 09:52 AM
S
My thoughts on the subject.

Higher humidity air going through the unit will most likely over time cause premature failure of internal parts.

Cold air holds less moisture than warm air so likely it will not have as great an effect on humidity.

Do you not have access to any of the warm air plenum at all?

Like I said, these are just my initial thought, and there was little thought at all in the spewing of these.

I am sure someone will correct my statements.

Old 11-29-05, 02:34 PM
malcolmd
Visiting Guest
Humidifier

I'm no expert but I had one of Carrier's best dealers install my furnace, AC and humidifier. The previous one was on the hot side but the coils of the new unit would not permit after replacement. It was put on the return side with a bypass sending hot air through it and tapped into a hot water pipe. System works great and at 35% there is no noticable moisture in the system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: