electronic air cleaner

Old 11-30-05, 10:43 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
electronic air cleaner

Hello-

I'm in the process of having a new hvac system installed - part of this is to include an electronic air cleaner - it was supposed to be a Honeywell cleaner but for a couple reasons, turns out it is a White-Rodgers. The installer gave me the option of waiting for a Honeywell and doing an install when it comes in or just moving forward with the White-Rodgers. He said the W-R is actually $53 more, but he would absorb the cost. All of this is more background - the main question is, are there many differences between these electronic air filters? And can anyone tell me if there are any big differences between these 2? I can't find many technial specs on either model on the company websites. Especially the Honeywell - nothing technical. These are both 2000 CFM units.

Thanks for any help!!

Rick

Old 11-30-05, 03:54 PM
They are pretty much the same...

Are aware of the monthly maintance involved on these???

More and more people are turning these EAC off, and change them over to Media filter due the hassle of keeping these things clean to work at it's peek..

As EAC get dirty, the effeceny drops on, where the media, they get better.

I've turned off these EAC off for a few people I know personaly due to what I said above, and also the noise the cell makes (snapping sound) when large dust hits.

Old 11-30-05, 06:29 PM
R
Jay-

Thanks for the reply - I am aware of the snap noise - but this is an attic instal where the unit is over the garage - shouldn't be a noise issue.

As for maintenance - reading the product sites, they say every 3 to 4 months - not monthly. And isn't there an indicator light telling you when to clean the unit? I just don't want to have to pay for replacement filters for the rest of my life. Although I may get the charcoal filter for this unit. Depends on the cost.

Should I expect to service the unit monthly?? That is more than I bargained for - but with a dog and 2 cats - and a wife with allergies, I think it will help.

Thanks again and I appreciate any additional comments.

Rick

Old 11-30-05, 07:18 PM
With a dog, and two cats. For SURE you will have to clean it everymonth... Are you willing to climb up into the Attic??

I have the media filter, and change it twice a year.. Done in 1 min. I have allergey and media does great...

Old 11-30-05, 07:27 PM
R
Don't you think I would also have to change the filter media more often with my pet situation? What would make the electronic get clogged faster than the media with the same amount of airborne particles? Finally, can you put the media in the same housing unit as the electronic filter (by removing the "insides" of the electronic filter) or would I have to replace the entire unit to get the media system installed?

Thanks a lot for the info - I really am undecided which is best. as for the attic, it is walkup - I don't think accessing the unit will be that big of a deal.

Old 11-30-05, 09:40 PM
P
There seems to be a really strong bias agains EAC on this board, which I don't think exists elsewhere and is certainly not entirely fair. I personally have an EAC (Honeywell) and have had no problems with it over several years of ownership. I run the filters through the dishwasher with none of the problems which some here will say plague these filters. No broken wires or bent plates in four years. I clean it once a month and it is never terribly dirty. For me, it easier to remeber to clean it on a regular monthly schedule rather than it would be to remeber to check a media filter every three or four months. I figure I save at least 60 to 90 dollars a year over media filters, although I realize the start up cost was higher. If you have the EAC already, give it a fair shot before trying the media filters. Also, EACs do take out smaller particles than the media filters.

Old 12-05-05, 10:39 AM
K
Can this be done?

Hello-

I have a Honeywell EAC which is about 20 years old. Although I've cleaned the filter once a month (and the unit "crackles" when turned on), I seem to catch more dust bunnies than I did with my previous house which had an HVAC with paper-filter.

My questions are:

1. Can I simply turn off the EAC unit and replace the metal filters with paper-filters (assuming that I can find a filter with same dimensions)?

2. Is #1 a fire hazard?

3. Would it be better to just yank the EAC unit out completely and replace with paper-filters?

4. How about adding paper-filters IN ADDITION to the existing EAC? Can I purchase prefab cold-duct work from any place?

Thanks 4 looking!

Kevin

Old 12-05-05, 01:08 PM
Kevin,

You can turn off the EAC, and remove the power feeding it for safty.

As for the media filters, you can get them at home centers like Home Depot, They carry the honeywell media that most likely will fit into your current system.

Pull out the cells, and pre filters.. lay the cells next to each other as if they were in the unit.. messure it.. most likey will be 20 by 25 or 16 by 25.

You could put the 1 inch filter in but not worth while sinc eyou have that large housing to take this media (about 4").. These filters only need to be changed out once or twice a year. (I change mine out twice since I run my fan 24/7)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: