Old FAG Furnace needs new filters

Old 12-03-05, 05:48 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old FAG Furnace needs new filters

Greetings,

I'm a newbie here so please correct my posting errors.
Here goes...I have an old house with a 1958 FAG conversion burner.

Runs very well and my gas bill is within reason. Currently there are three electrostatic filters installed. They install in a triangle above the blower. However, at the top there is a 2" gap where the back filter shoyuld meet with the front filters.

I'm seeing from some threads that I've read that they may not be the best choice and I'm concerned about the gap. If I simply replaced the 14x25x1 filter with a 16 it would fill the gap.

What should I buy for filters?

Thanks,

Jim

Old 12-04-05, 06:43 AM
You are doing the right thing by getting rid of those electrstic filters..

A low end pleated filters will work out best for you.. You can get a 3 pack of these filters at Home Depot about $10.

Good that you are closing the gaps off. do you have A/C on this furnace?

Where are you from? Most of the time when someone has these old furnace the gas bill out of control.

Old 12-04-05, 04:27 PM
S
Originally Posted by Jay11J
You are doing the right thing by getting rid of those electrstic filters..

A low end pleated filters will work out best for you.. You can get a 3 pack of these filters at Home Depot about $10.

Good that you are closing the gaps off. do you have A/C on this furnace?

Where are you from? Most of the time when someone has these old furnace the gas bill out of control.
Jay,

Thanks for the info. Do you have a brand to recommend? I'm in Seattle and right now it's 40 F outside. We don't get much colder very often.

No A/C in the house. Are media filters too costly for an older setup like I've got??

Thanks for your help

Old 12-04-05, 07:42 PM
I am drawning a blank on the brand.. It's not the 3M one.. It has a green lable on it. and comes in pack of 3, that are sold at Home Depot about $10

You could do the media filter on your system.. some work will need to be done on your ductwork.

Old 12-05-05, 12:57 PM
S
Thanks Jay,

I'll get to Home Depot this week and do some detective work. Stay tuned........

Old 12-07-05, 10:01 PM
Harold
Visiting Guest
FAG furnace?

What is or was a FAG furnace. My wife suggests it may have been something used in the Holacaust .....

Old 12-07-05, 10:14 PM
Forced Air Gas

Old 09-24-06, 09:42 PM
S
Smile New filters for the FAG Furnace

Well, it's coming up on a year since I took your advice and changed to pleated furnace filters. I went to Home Depot and purchased 3 filters with a higher efficiency rating than the 3 pack they had for $10.

The $10 three pack are NaturalAire with a Merv 8 rating and an Effectiveness Rating of 343. I went with a Lysol filter with an ER of 1481. The higher the rating the more and smaller particiles are trapped if I understand the rating system correctly. I installed them and clearly there was less dust on the table and hardwood. I checked them after 60 days and they had some accumulation of dust but not much. I replaced them after 90 days and they were fairly dirty but not really bad ( if that makes any sense).

I'm on a 90 day schedule and I'm wondering if I should go with the Standard ones with the 343 rating? They're $10 for 3 vs. $35 for three.

Will I noticeably increase the dust and particles in the house using the lower ER of 343?

The bottom line is they are much much better than the old electrostatic filters.

Thanks again for all the assistance.

Jim
Seattle

Old 09-24-06, 10:18 PM
Go back to the 3 pack filter.. The higher rated filter will catch more dust, but it's also harder on the blower.

The 3 pack one will catch more dust than the blue fiberglass.

Old 09-26-06, 02:56 PM
Wink

They install in a triangle above the blower. However, at the top there is a 2" gap where the back filter shoyuld meet with the front filters.

Like jay said you need that bigger filter Look around there at the furnace and see if you cant find a metal piece that looks like a W. When to filter meet that way they bend up a metal piece like a W upside down that would set on the top of the two filter to hold them together like and not let dirt or air come through them there. Cost you can get a MERV 5 filter and there is a spray coat the you put on the intake side of the filter to make it work better.

ED

Old 10-12-06, 06:19 PM
S
Smile

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the information. I just picked up the green 3 pack. NaturalAire at a Merv 8.

Ed, what is the spray you're talking about? I've closed off the gap at the top.

Jim

Old 10-12-06, 06:36 PM
Wink

There are 2 or 3 out, its a lot where you are to what they have. One isPuraClean filter spray. Go here.

http://www.puracleanspray.com/

ED

Old 10-12-06, 08:36 PM
Home Depot used to have the spray, but no longer do. The MERV 8 will do a good job anyway.

Old 10-13-06, 10:31 AM
Wink

Sorry have to go the other way here. We find that the filters over a merv 5 cut down on the air flow and do a good job. But jam up to quick. That is why we say dont use over a MERV 5 and add a light spray to the intake side.
Years back all filters came with a oil spray on them. This sure did help to stop the dirt. Even the cheap ones. One of the best filter set ups still out today is the Lennox hammock filter. When you cut a new filter for it . You have to go wash your hands to get the oil off.
So a MERV 5 filter a light spray on it. A new filter every 30 to 90 days . That depends On how often you vacuum the home. The more you do the more dirt you will find on the filter. Thats why a home vac in the garage pay off. the dust dont get back in the home.

ED just out of the box here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: