fan needed in bathroom with window?

Old 12-07-05, 09:05 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
fan needed in bathroom with window?

The two and a half bathrooms in my house have windows but no exhaust fans. I don't know if I'm up to installing and venting the exhaust fans myself, and would probably need to get a contractor. How much of a priority is this? Would it be worth several hundred dollars (if not more) to get this job done?

A bit more background to help you answer: We try to leave the windows open as much as possible year-round (we're in the Mid-Atlantic region), except on the first floor, where there's a security issue. But there's no shower in that one, and the toilet there is used less than the others, so it's not as much an issue. The house was built in 1966, and the bathrooms look like they were redone about 15 years ago. We're in the house about two years, and so far there don't seem to be any problems--such as peeling wallpaper or other moisture damage--as a result of not having the fans. Nor is there an odor problem. There are HVAC vents in all three bathrooms.

Old 12-07-05, 09:20 AM
Sounds like your bathroom is fine with out it.

Where, I am in Minnesota, so our walls/ceiling are cool in the winter.. Our temps gets down cold.. (last night was -13). With the cooler walls, the moister collects on the walls/ceiling.

We brought our house last year, and it did not have a fan.. It moistier was starting to peel the texture off the ceiling, and I put a fan in ours just past fall.. Helping so far!

We won't be able to open our windows this time of year! Unless we want ice!

So like i said, sounds like it's not an issue in your home.. so you can get by with out it.

Old 12-07-05, 10:52 AM
R
Sounds like this is one thing I don't have to worry about. Thanks for the reply!

Old 12-07-05, 07:37 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Id worry about they Rh% getting in to the rest of the house and making the ac work harder

Old 12-08-05, 09:42 AM
R
I suppose that could be a concern, but we generally leave the bathroom doors closed, which I think would block most of the humidity from escaping.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: