uneven heat distribution

Old 12-08-05, 07:46 AM
billy_5555
Visiting Guest
uneven heat distribution

I have a 2-story home with a new forced-air gas furnace. The main floor is sort-of comfortable (but still a little too cold) but the 2nd floor is always freezing cold! Very little heat is coming out of the registers on the 2nd floor and on the main floor more heat comes out of some registers than others. Also on the 2nd floor every window has a lot of condensation on the inside. Any ideas what the problem is?
Thanks!

Old 12-08-05, 09:28 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There may be some dampers closed off somewhere in your ductwork.

Most installations have dampers right below the register. Lift up the register and feel down below with your hand (becareful you do not cut yourself on the metal). You may feel a flat damper. You should be able to turn it open.

Other installations, the dampers are close to the furnace. Look arund the ductwork of your furnace and you may see some small metal handles. Sometimes the installers will even mark the open/close positions.

The condensation should disappear once you improve your air circulation. However, I would recommend you buy a moisture metre...they are only like $10 at Home Depot. The moisture level in a home should stay between 35-55%. If after you have solved the ductwork issues and the relative humidity is still higher than 55%, then you will need to look at ways of reducing it, i.e. HRV, dehumidifier etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: