Wall register covers

Old 12-12-05, 06:45 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wall register covers

I need language help.

I'm looking for the proper term to describe the thing that sticks out of the wall at an angle, covering the heat/air duct. It has a lever/louver(?) and starts out sticking out about an inch from the wall, and sticks out about 2 inches by the time it hits the floor (about 8-9 inches "tall," maybe a foot wide). I know (I think) it's a "register," but the type of register eludes me, and while my googles turn up plenty of results, none of them answer the question (or even show me a picture of what I'm talking about).

I pulled one of them off, and the wood floor was actually cut around it, to accomodate the whole thing. I'd like to replace at least one of them (takes up too much floor space) but need to know what I'm trying to replace in order to figure out what my options are. Any ideas? Please advise. Cheers -- Julie

p.s. These things are original to the house, which was built in 1948. Thanks.

Last edited by printme; 12-12-05 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Adding date house was built
Old 12-12-05, 07:01 PM
baseboard registers

Old 12-12-05, 07:31 PM
P
While I appreciate the suggestion, I'm looking for something that's much larger, and more 3D -- it has a serious profile if you look at it from the side. If you google "baseboard register" you get small, baseboard sized registers.

The term that I've heard to describe them is much more elaborate than "baseboard registers" (I would have remembered that). I'm told they are no longer made, but can be located through specialty stores. Of course, since I don't want to replace them with the same thing, I don't want to actually purchase them, I just want to research them.

Thanks.

Last edited by printme; 12-12-05 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Finishing comment
Old 12-13-05, 07:36 AM
E
take a picture

Old 12-13-05, 01:59 PM
G
This site has some of what you describe:

http://www.robinsonsantiques.com/reg...uare-37-40.htm

Scroll back and forth.

Could you replace them with the large floor registers which are sold at the above site or the one below? The floor registers are flat and are similar in style to the wall ones, but you might have some problem geting the louvres to work properly if they are mounted vertically instead of horizontally as intended. Based on these sites, the wall registers you have are likely quite valueable, and you might want to take them off carefully so you can sell or trade them.

http://www.shop4classics.com/category.asp?cid=17

Old 12-13-05, 02:05 PM
G
Maybe the ones I directed you to in the last message were too elaborate as they are older than 1948. Are yours as simple as the one displayed (the white one) in the photo on this page?:

http://www.atlantasupply.com/

They don't list a name for these specifically, but do make reference to "air diffusers". Is that the term you are looking for?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: