heat removal for a computer closet

Old 12-14-05, 08:56 PM
Diceman19
Visiting Guest
heat removal for a computer closet

right now it is winter so i dont have to worry about it, but in a few months, summer will be here and i have 4-6 massive heat generating machines in a computer closet that will need some venting. i had thought to get a bathroom fan and put it in the closet ceiling and just run it 24/7. dont know how long they are designed to run or how long it will last being on 24/7. my boss at work just put a regular register vent in the ceiling and i think it is going to attach it to his other HVAC in the attic but i am not sure that is going to provide the heat elimination either of us need. what is everyone else doing, if anyone else is doing this.

Old 01-25-06, 02:36 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Look into whole house fans or gable fans. I think both are much more heavy duty than a bathroom fan and have thermostats to turn them on when it reaches a certain temperature.

Old 01-25-06, 05:51 PM
T
Venting the room will not work. You would have to also install an air intake. A ductless minisplit air conditioner would be the best solution. Ive installed them in many computer rooms and critical process rooms in hospitals and businesses.

Old 01-26-06, 01:42 PM
Diceman19
Visiting Guest
could you explain why venting would not work. if you think about it, moving the hot air into another area(outside via the vent) would drop the ambient temperature in the area being vented. the closet i am venting is only 16 sqaure feet so even the smallest of vent fans should move the air in the closet 2-3 times in a minute.

Old 01-26-06, 05:14 PM
T
It will if you replace the air you exhaust with cooler air. If not, it will just pull the room into a vaccum and stop exhausting. 16 sq. feet is a pretty small space so yes it shouldnt be a problem but you do need an air intake somewhere. Preferably from a cooled space with no negative pressure.

Old 01-27-06, 08:33 AM
Diceman19
Visiting Guest
i had figured that having doors that vent on this closet would be pulling air into the closet from the room the closet is located in. since the doors would be shut, the air outside the closet would be cooler than the air inside the closet. i dont think a little tiny fan like im thinking would be able to pull a large room into vaccum. any more thoughts?

Old 01-27-06, 05:31 PM
thermo has the right idea................................it will depend on the heat load from the equipment. more than likely you will need a seperate a/c system to handle the amount of BTUs generated by the equipment. airflow is very critical for computer rooms. i can't guess what kind of heat output you will have to deal with but if i'm guessing you'll need some cooling.

Old 01-28-06, 11:34 AM
P
Originally Posted by Diceman19
i have 4-6 massive heat generating machines in a computer closet that will need some venting.
The answers seem to assume you have uncooled computers running in an air tight closet. Your responses indicate that you have 4 to 6 server type PCs which can adequately cool themselves during cooler weather. What are the dimensions of the closet? What kind of computers are you running?

Old 01-28-06, 11:47 AM
Diceman19
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Polydorus
The answers seem to assume you have uncooled computers running in an air tight closet. Your responses indicate that you have 4 to 6 server type PCs which can adequately cool themselves during cooler weather. What are the dimensions of the closet? What kind of computers are you running?
the closet is about 8.5 ft wide and 22 inches deep. the computer area is running 3 or so degrees higher than the rest of the house. the machines are indeed capable of cooling themselves, but i just want to keep the temperature out of the high 70's during the summer months. i have reconfigured this closet recently and now only have 4 PC's, two desktop type and two rack mount compaq servers. i really dont think i need to have a stand alone cooling solution, but if i do i will cross that bridge when i come to it. it doesnt seem that this closet is going to generate enough heat to warrant it, although, one of the desktop pc's that i have would heat a 10x10 room up to about 78 during the summer months if the door would remain closed.

Old 01-30-06, 08:54 AM
P
Are there folding/sliding doors all along the front? I think I would go with fans as you proposed. However, I would blow the hot air back into the house rather than cutting a hole to the attic.
If you are able to monitor the internal heat levels of the computers a cheap way to try it out: open the door(s) and use a simple box fan on the floor to see if it will get the job done. Then try it with the door closed.

Old 01-31-06, 02:24 PM
Diceman19
Visiting Guest
Are there folding/sliding doors all along the front? I think I would go with fans as you proposed. However, I would blow the hot air back into the house rather than cutting a hole to the attic.
If you are able to monitor the internal heat levels of the computers a cheap way to try it out: open the door(s) and use a simple box fan on the floor to see if it will get the job done. Then try it with the door closed.

there are sliding doors. however, i am curious as to why you would blow the hot air back into the house as opposed to removing it from the house. i would rather my office not be 5-10 degrees higher than the rest of the house. thanks for all the input everyone.

Old 01-31-06, 03:07 PM
P
It was more that I was against cutting a hole into the attic. There is enough heat in my attic in the summer as is. If I did something like this I would also add power gable fans.
I was assuming that your house was adequately (or more than so) air conditioned. If you use thermostatically controlled fans to blow the hot air out of the closet into the house the existing system should take care of it.

Old 02-01-06, 11:08 AM
Diceman19
Visiting Guest
It was more that I was against cutting a hole into the attic. There is enough heat in my attic in the summer as is. If I did something like this I would also add power gable fans.
I was assuming that your house was adequately (or more than so) air conditioned. If you use thermostatically controlled fans to blow the hot air out of the closet into the house the existing system should take care of it.

yea, im a little on the not rich side so i planned to leave my AC on 74. ;-) my heat is on 57 right now in the middle of winter.

Old 02-01-06, 03:20 PM
P
If you install a ductless minisplit air conditioner it will probably solve the heat problem. It will also cost less to run than the main air conditioning unit would. Not sure how long it will take you to break even on the deal however.
If it were me, I would go with the cheapest solution that is the least amount of work.
Do you have a way to monitor the computer heat level and do you know at what point it is overheating? That is the only downside of playing around to find a solution. BTW who has to pay for any damage if the computers overheat?

Old 02-01-06, 08:08 PM
T
I think you will be surprised at the amount of air you need to move to cool this closet. Good luck.

Old 02-02-06, 12:25 AM
Diceman19
Visiting Guest
If you install a ductless minisplit air conditioner it will probably solve the heat problem. It will also cost less to run than the main air conditioning unit would. Not sure how long it will take you to break even on the deal however.
If it were me, I would go with the cheapest solution that is the least amount of work.
Do you have a way to monitor the computer heat level and do you know at what point it is overheating? That is the only downside of playing around to find a solution. BTW who has to pay for any damage if the computers overheat?

i would have to pay for any damages, however, i will be closely monitoring the temperatures until i set it and forget it. right now im running cacti on my cisco switch. i would like to run a temperature monitor in that closet as well so i can graph it, cept i cant find one that is within my budget.

i have a thermometer hanging in that closet right now so i know what temperature the ambient air is.

i have blocked off the doorway to my office and turned on a space heater to 73 degrees. it is staying 73 degrees in that closet, althought that may be because it is colder outside instead of warmer.

i dont mind cutting a hole in the attic. i want the cheapest solution. i dont mind doing a *little* work. how much does one of these A/C units cost that you are talking about?

Old 02-03-06, 03:50 PM
P
What is you boss doing to cool his setup?
I don't know the price. I'm just a do-it-yourselfer. Maybe thermofridge can provide it.

Last edited by Polydorus; 02-06-06 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-04-06, 10:10 AM
Diceman19
Visiting Guest
What is you boss doing to cool his setup?
I don't know the price. I'm just a do-it-yourselfer. Maybe thermofridge can.
he put a register that is just venting to the attic but when i asked him about it a few weeks ago, he said it wasnt working like he thought it would.

Old 02-04-06, 12:00 PM
he put a register that is just venting to the attic but when i asked him about it a few weeks ago, he said it wasnt working like he thought it would.
that is not hard to believe.

Old 02-06-06, 11:12 AM
P
Your idea of the powered air flow sounds a lot better than just letting the warm air rise.

Old 02-07-06, 02:17 AM
Diceman19
Visiting Guest
Your idea of the powered air flow sounds a lot better than just letting the warm air rise.
that was my thought long before he put his register in, in fact, i gave him the idea of cutting holes in the ceiling to banish the heat. :-) i still haven't done anything yet, im probly too lazy for my own good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: