Range Hood Duct Routing

Old 12-18-05, 12:59 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Range Hood Duct Routing

I am getting ready to remodel my kitchen, and will mostly be just replacing the cabinets. However I want to move the stove (a slide-in) about 2 feet over from its current position, and I am wondering about the hood ductwork.

Here is the current situation. Cabinets are mounted 12 inches below the 8ft ceiling and there is a soffit [12 inches high] all the way around the kitchen above the cabinets. The hood duct goes through the cabinets above the range and is hidden by the soffit. Then it goes through the ceiling, about 15-18 inches through the attic and then is vented through the roof. All this is straight vertical.

I want to move the stove 2 ft toward the middle of the house, not toward the outside wall. I don’t want to have to cut a new opening in the roof for the vent and then have to close up the old one. So my question is: is it OK to still run the ductwork straight up from the hood, through the new [above-range] cabinets, through the ceiling into the attic and then have two bends in it so it can still be connected to the original roof vent? (The space in the attic between the ceiling and the roof will be greater because the stove will be moved in the direction where the roof peaks.) IF this is the way to go should the bends be kept less than 90 deg (if possible) or doesn’t it matter? And what is the minmum length required of straight duct between bends? Is there a better way to do this whole thing? (Note: venting through the side of the house is not an option here…has to be through the roof.) Thanks for any help and advice.

Old 12-18-05, 06:40 PM
Yes, you may use 90 degree elbow to make change from the roof vent to the new location.

Old 12-18-05, 08:58 PM
T
rangehoods do not require all that much for venting. It sounds like you will be fine with the elbows. Adjust them to get the most direct path.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: